• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine codes??????

99xjache

NAXJA Member #1289
I was looking for a way to figure out why my check engine light is on.
So, I went to the Moorpark Autozone and they still let you use the reader. They just wont check it for you.

These are the codes that came up:
P0705- Transmission range sensor circuit malfunction
P1491- Manufacturer controlled auxilary emission control malfunction/
Secondary switch solenoid circuit malfunction

I checked the codes, then erased them. I started the engine, drove around the parking lot, (used all gears, aw4 tranny) and got the light again. Rechecked and only one code returned. the P1491 code.

Does anybody have any info on where I should start with troubleshooting or any more specific info on what the codes mean?

This thread should probably be moved to the OEM tech forum but I dont know how to do that.

Thank you guys for all the help!

Aaron

Aaron, my code book states that P1491 is "cooling fan relay circuit". It's indeed a manufacturer code.
:dunno:
The only thing I might suggest is to try switching out the fan relay with the A/C clutch relay, and see if the light goes off.

If that dosen't help, look around for a solenoid connected to the fuel tank vent lines. It will have a switch attached, which activates the solenoid. My guess is that the switch 'might' be bad. (There's a switch on my 96 next to the washer fluid reservoir, that connects to the EVAP cannister. You might check that one.)

Sorry I can't be more specific; just giving some things to look at......

ROE

Last edited:
Back