• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which exhaust???

94_2wdcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know what kind of exhaust i should put on my 4.0 auto cherokee. I want it to be loud but not too loud. I was thinking of a 14 inch glasspack on it what would that sound like?? Should I dual it out or what? I'm kinda a rookie at this. Any suggestions on which kind of exhaust is the best?? all help appreciated

Dylan :NAXJA:

dual anythign at 2.5" is real tight on the XJ's. If your a pavement pounder might as well go with whatever you have the money for... such as borla. I just can't justify putting that type of money into something that could easily get trashed on the trail. I went high flow cat ( car sound I believe) and a tiny glass pack. It has a nice rumble to it, sounds wicked beefy, and have even gotten comments and people looking under to see what I had. Sounds great here.

summit sells a cat back(dynomax i belive) for under $100 and that with a hight flow cat would work great and not sound like a farm tractor.

Well if you have the smog stuff to worry about I don't know if glass packs will pass or not. But I run a high flow cat from Car Sounds, and a Borla cat back exhaust. Smooth power and it will last a life time. I got tired of replacing them over the years. I have had the dynomax exhaust, Flowmaster from Rusty's which was quite loud and had some power to it. But everything is right where I want it with the hf cat and Borla, power and sound and it has a million mile warrenty. I paid 68.00 for the converter and 310 shipped for the Borla from
truckperformance.com

Check it out, but if you want loud go with the Rusty's at 139.00 and get the cat from him at the same time it's 99.00 which will cut down on shipping.
rustysoffroad.com

Good day, Juice

It seems to me that you are lookin to get some rumble from your Jeep. That dynomax cat back is what I run and is probably more quiet that you would like, until I got the cat mod, you could barely notice it unless it was at idle, the higher you rev it the quieter and more stock like it sounded.

I am running 2.5 inch all the way, with the Rusty's cat back and a high flow cat with gibson header. The first time one of my friends heard it, he remarked that it sounded like a "pod racer" from Star Wars. I read on a different thread last night you'll never get the 4.0 to sound like a V8. That's the truth so far as I know. But with a open element intake I definitely noticed the engine revs alot easier now. And if you put your foot in it, the tone is very agreeable in my opinion. Just don't expect the tip on Rusty's kit to stay chrome for very long. I eventually replaced mine with a stainless tip. Have fun!

I run a Gibson cat-back. While the can is big and round and more prone to rocks and such, I have not had anything equal the sound and power that it gives me. It sounds like a 5.0 mustang when I want it to, but at mid-range RPM its not overpowering. Chamber mufflers, like flowmasters, seem to me to be louder on the inside than on the outside. With no glass, the sound bounces around the inside of the little XJ and can get annoying until you get used to it. Good luck.

I run Rusty's Flowmaster/high flow cat combo as well. I've gotten used to the sound inside, but when we sit down to watch videos at the end of a day on the trail mine always seems to be the loudest. It's quieter than my no cat/glasspack/side-exit contraption that I ran in my younger days, and the power and mileage have gone up as well with a little backpressure.

$20

nice rumble :)
2185616030.jpg

Back