• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welded rear

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
i have just put in a 8.25 in the rear it has 3.55 gears right now i wheel every weekend but need a locker cant afford it.the axle is a 27 spline if i weld it with my 35,s will it last i don't do alot of hard trails just a bunch of mud and hills.

If you drive it much on the street, dont expect it to last long. As long as your staying out of the rocks it should last a while in the sand/mud as long as you keep your foot out of it.

Shop around...lockers are cheap...a HECK of a lot cheaper than replacing parts that youll be breaking with a welded spider!

X 1,000,000!
Weld it, It will break!
I could have bought a good locker for what it cost me to buy another new ring and pinion!
Although, it was exciting to skid down the highway at 55 MPH when all of the little pieces started getting lodged inside the dif.

You can get a mini spool pretty cheap if that is all you are looking for.

I welded mine about 3 years ago and I wheeled it hard in Az in the rocks and drove it from Az to Ky a little over a year ago and drive it all the time. I still do a lot of wheeling in Ky but more mud and slick rock stuff here. I drive it every weekend during hunting season and sometimes for daily driving with no ill effects. They do wear the tires more than normal, you will chirp around corners but other than that no probs. It does take some getting used too but that goes with getting used to how it handles lifted also. Once you get used to it its fine. Some people have broke them but that all depends on your driving style. No two people drive the same way. I am running 8.25 w/3.55 and 33's. If you do weld it make sure you heat it up good first with a torch and use a big arc welder. We had both arc and mig but decided to use arc because we had a big 220v one. Good luck. Jeff

if it is a daily driver, DO NOT DO IT.

dan89XJ said:
Where do I get a mini spool ? how much do they run ?

i didnt know that they made mini-spools for c-clip axles...

here is a thread on lincoln lockers I used as a guideline for my project
lincoln

I welded my rear on a D44 with 3:55 gears and other thatn the chirping on pavement it works awesome..

I babied it at first , and have been on 3-4 runs on hard rock and really put it to the test.. its holding up just fine..
I run it on the street occasionlly..

I used a 220 ARC welder at a high setting with 6013 rod for good penetration..I aslo used a air chisel and cleaned ALL the slag off the welds..

With that said I only did it cause I was planning on regearing and on a D44 the carrier would have to be changed along witht the gears and pinion..

After runnin it for this long and testing it I decided to keep it and just by thick gears for the D44 and keep the lincoln till it blows..
Granted mine is not a C clip

there are ALOT of guys runnin lincolns and swear by em..
If youi do it, take your time and definitly remove the carrier from the difff..

I dont regret doin it..

"i welded my dana 35 and ran 33 on it for a year befor it blew up and destroyed a lot of my stuff."

It strikes me as odd that you would even consider welding after making this statement.

The axiom "Learn from your mistakes" comes to mind........

CRASH

Last edited by a moderator:
littlebluexj said:
ok even if its a 27 spline it is a daily driver and i have no problem with a little worn tires.but you show me a locker for under 400 that is not a posi and i will do that but for now i think i am going to weld it.i welded my dana 35 and ran 33 on it for a year befor it blew up and destroyed a lot of my stuff.I just want the oppion on if the axle will last.Heres the wheeling info I live in Oklahoma and wheel a spot called Chanler Park every weekend and once a month i wheel Disney.Chandler is just mud and great trails and disney is a lot of sharp rock.more oppions please.Thank you Will

The 27 spline 8.25 isnt a whole lot stronger than a dana 35, and 35" tires are hard on them. I'd expect to blow it up pretty quickly, even light on the throttle..

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/prod...PTX&parentProdline=DriChryslerPTX&expand=sub2

Locker under $400. But it's still a C-CLip 27 spline 8.25, so carry an extra shaft, and a spare set of spider gears.

-Cal

cal said:
so carry an extra shaft, and a spare set of spider gears.

-Cal

wouldnt a locker negate the need for spyder gears?

littlebluexj said:
but you show me a locker for under 400 that is not a posi and i will do that but for now i think i am going to weld it

Summitracing.com has the powertraxx lock-rights for 375 bucks...part number:
PWT-1230-LR

With shipping your looking right at or a little under 400 dollars and its going to be MUCH better for a DD.

XJ_ranger said:

Yup! But if he welds it, he should carry spares(and a carrier) incase they decide to explode or come apart which wouldnt be unheard of with 35s and a welded spider on a DD. Id go with the locker, but thats just me...especially if it will see any time on the street.

Either way you go, id carry extra shafts

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:

I hear here and there that lockrites will sometimes break, leaving you with a need for spyder's as a trail fix..

Although, I havent seen it myself, I dont know many people running lockrites.

my 8.25 held up to some serious abuse w/ my 35" boggers, now i have a linconed 44's.... but the 8.25 still lives on in a cj

tealcherokee said:
my 8.25 held up to some serious abuse w/ my 35" boggers, now i have a linconed 44's.... but the 8.25 still lives on in a cj

27 or 29 spline?

littlebluexj said:
does anyone make a spool,mini spool for a 29 spline 8.25 i can get 29 spine shafts for 100 from the local salvage.would that be stronger

No spools or mini spools are available for the 8.25 as they are c-clip style. It would be impossible to keep the axles in.

ok so im going to weld it. and i will try to wheel the piss out of it for the first trip.and see if it holds up.my next trip is to the superlift park in arkansa.i got the tires today.they are 35x12.50r/15 LLT MTR's.if it holds up or not i will keep everyone posted.

littlebluexj said:
ok so im going to weld it. and i will try to wheel the piss out of it for the first trip.and see if it holds up.my next trip is to the superlift park in arkansa.i got the tires today.they are 35x12.50r/15 LLT MTR's.if it holds up or not i will keep everyone posted.

Ill say it one more time....

BRING SPARE PARTS!! :laugh3:

Back