• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need HELP in the next HOUR (XJ Key issue)

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so my keys (car and house were stolen today, I need to get the jeep re-keyed (99 Cherokee Classic) <------ sorry its a 99, not an 01'

I called the key guy and he said 200.00 to re key the car because it had an "electric chip" in the key and he needed some code from the dealer or something.

I said no, it was a hard plastic key, no chip. (unlike my wifes 2001 Jetta which has a chip)

WTF do I do? (I dont think there is an electric chip in it-) I told him how about i go to wal-mart and get a blank for 5 bucks and let him cut it (he didnt think that was funny)

give me a response, I have 1 hour till he arrives!

L.R.

UPDATE- it is a 1999, not an 01 Cherokee!

Last edited:
Don't know if it will help but, there are some keys that have chips built into the plastic "grip" part of the key. I don't know if the 01's are like that (I have an 89), but my BMW has one. Good Luck!!!

Are you talking about getting a key made off the lock cylinder or re-keying all door cylinders and ignition. I'm unsure as to what you want and if you you really have a chip, my feeling is no. I would call someone else if you don't think it has a chip. My Jeep was broken into, I got 2 lock cylinders damaged. Guy wanted $21.50/door, parts (used) and labor. Keep in mind this is one of those shops where youre better off if you speak Spanish but he did a great job and fixed the dents in the door while he was in there so I gave him a 50 and said keep it. The shop is on Adams Avenue west past the 15 a couple blocks in the right if youre in SD.

Isin't it a little late where youre at? Heres what I would do: Get the Jeep opened up, deal with it in the morning. If youre worried about leaving it remove the coil wire. Do you have a spare key? if not, its a $200 lesson, the first thing you do when you buy a vehicle is get a spare key.

The second thing you do, especially if youre worried is get one of these:
http://www.autolock.com Thats my security system, worked for me when my Jeep got broken into- twice.

done deal guys, I called AAA and a different guy came and cut a new key (he pulled the ignition (very cool and so easy) I got a new key for the doors, AND a DIFFERENT key for the ignition (which he re-did)

so the thief that stole my keys to begin with CAN get into the jeep but he cant drive it away!

thanks for the help, it was much appreciated!

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
so the thief that stole my keys to begin with CAN get into the jeep but he cant drive it away!
L.R.

I would feel sketchy about those door keys still floating around. I would change out those cylinders when I had the time.

Check into old_man's thread about changing the door locks. BTW, there's only four locks involved unless you count the glovebox. Front driver, front passenger, hatch, ignition and glove.

mattmankow said:
Just for eveyone's info, if your key is black its not a "chip" (transducer) key. They are the gray plastic ones.

Exactly. Any Chrysler with a big gray key has a chip. With black key, it does not. Also... if it has a chip, the little yellow "key" light would have lit up every time you started it as a bulb-test....

Once the computer is programmed to recognize the new key(s), it will NO LONGER ACCEPT the old (stolen) key. The Jeep wouldn't run because of the immobilizer. But he could still get in, I suppose...

Good luck. I hate when crap like that happens!

Den

did any XJ ever come with a chip'ed key?

My '01 has the normal black key, but it's a Sport (custom ordered, though). I'm guessing that if chip'ed keys were ever an option, it'd be on the Limited model.

whatevah said:
did any XJ ever come with a chip'ed key?

My '01 has the normal black key, but it's a Sport (custom ordered, though). I'm guessing that if chip'ed keys were ever an option, it'd be on the Limited model.

I think it might depend on the area. My dealer pretty much orders ALL vehicles with the Sentry Key, if it's available. My '00 Sport has it. So did all of the ones on the lot. They also make sure that all vehicles on the lot are locked at all times, too...

And they have a 1983 Chrysler LeBaron sedan that's painted black-and-white, and has "security" stencilled on it... which is parked in front of the showroom during closed hours....

I doubt that it fools anyone... :)

Den

alrighty, thanks. my XJ was a custom order by the first owner (yellow/black "Jeep" leather seats in a Sport are a dead giveaway), so I never had to deal with options and stuff like that. The dealer had two other XJs on the lot, but they both had regular keys as well.

Back