• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Pinion bearings

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hiya,

This all started as an axle shaft seal replacement. But as I had to remove the carrier, (I have an ARB), it was suggested that I should replace the carrier bearings and races while I was at it. An ARB tech told me that I shouldn't have to worry about setting it up again if I just use the old shims.

I ordered the Master Overhaul Kit from Randy's, and I am having a machine shop pull the old bearings from the carrier and press on the new. I really wasn't thinking when I ordered the kit I guess, but I hadn't thought about replacing the pinion bearings.

As I have a leak at the pinion I will replace the seal there, but should I just leave well enough alone as far as the bearings, or should I have at them?

How do I get at them if I should?

Thanks anyone who was able to get through this post :speepin:

Todd

IMO it should be pretty easy to tell if the bearings are worn, when you pull the carrier. Twist the yoke with your finger tips, you can feel if the bearings have a hitch or significant rumble feel. Pretty much any in, out or side play means they are worn. Pinion depth is one of the more critical parts of setting up a rear end. I´d always think if I got a slightly off size set of bearings, things could get real tricky real quick. If the bearings are loose, it would be hard to check the pinion depth, before removal and you'd have to hope for luck and if that didn't work out, go to the trial and error method.
You could probably check the preload on the set you have now, if there is a preload, likely your OK.
I´m guessing the front is the one your doing. If your removing the carrier to change the seals.

Back