• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ/MJ D44's axle tube drain holes?

jshwank

NAXJA Forum User
Need some tech help from all of you guys that have XJ/MJ D44's. This question is specifically relating to the use of an ARB in the above axles. There is a section in the ARB install instructions (section 3.1, page 9) that talks about the need to make sure there is adequate drain holes in differential located at the bottom part of the tubes. My question is do the XJ/MJ D44's already have these holes from the factory? If so, do they have them both for the top and bottom of the tube and for both the driver and passenger tube? Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

:confused:

There are no drain holes in stock axle tubes. There is one vent hole, on the top of the axle tube, that connects to the vent line. That's it.

Eagle said:
:confused:

There are no drain holes in stock axle tubes. There is one vent hole, on the top of the axle tube, that connects to the vent line. That's it.

Eagle,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I didn't explain my question above well enough. The drain holes I am referring to are located inside the differential, on the sides of the bearing caps. They're supposed to allow fluid to enter into the axle tubes and then drain back out of the axle tubes. From the looks of the ARB install instructions, it looks like in stock form there may be only upper holes, but no lower holes. I wish I had a scanner so I could scan a picture of what I'm actually talking about.

Sorry...

The ARB directions are talking about a drain hole that allows gear oil inside the axle tubes to flow back into the diff. I havent done a MJ/XJ dana 44 ARB install but it shouldnt be that hard to add the drain holes if they are not already there. Most axles have these there, you just got to make sure they are clear.

Something else to consider is moving the axle vent tube from one of the axle tubes to the center section. I have an ARB my Ford 8.8 and I had gear oil pumped out of the axle vent tube as well as the axle shaft seal because the tube was filled with oil blocking the vent tube.

AARON

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. Again, I'm really only wanting to know whether the axle housing already has the drain holes in it in stock form or if they're something that has to be drilled out. Since the ARB for the D44 is used in many D44 housing, I'm just curious if the XJ/MJ D44 housings already have the lower holes required by the ARB instructions. So does anyone know?

Thanks

Im sure you must grind the housing.There have been several threads about ARB,s and oil blowing out the vent.
Wayne

I just finished installing my ARB into my D44. Both tubes had "holes" no top,and the driver side had a small one on the bottom.I just used a air grinder with a cut off wheel to grind one on the pass side and open up the drivers side. No big deal really.

xjspyder said:
I just finished installing my ARB into my D44. Both tubes had "holes" no top,and the driver side had a small one on the bottom.I just used a air grinder with a cut off wheel to grind one on the pass side and open up the drivers side. No big deal really.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

xjspyder - Thanks, that was what I was looking for.

Back