• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sport cage

mknack

NAXJA Forum User
Was at the offrod expo last weekend in Pomona, Ca, and saw a few pretty neat items for sale. One that caught my attention the most was a sport cage that was made by a company called Rockhard4x4 that was out in Nebraska I believe. Im going to try and post a few pictures of the cage to see what everyone thinks. My biggest concern is whether it's worth the money or not. Does anyone think this will offer a degree of added protection that is worth the price?

Oops, I just figured out that I cant post pictures. Well anyway, the website was Rockhard4x4parts.com. Give it a look and let me know what you guys think.

I think you could bring your xj to an experienced fab/welder and get a cage that is tied to unibody for the same$ if not cheaper. I would think that if you have a cage, then you had better be able to rely on it to protect you, that does not look to protective to me.

I thought about that, I figured if you bolted it all together and then welded all the link points it would almost make it cokmpletely solid. The only other downfall that I saw was that the cage bolted through the floor to plates that would be located on the underbody. It seems that the cage would not be super solid if you rolled over since it's only bolted to the sheet metal beneath your feet. The owner said that the plates under the body are close to the frame and might be able to be welded to the frame, but Im not sure that would be to sturdy either.

That almost looks more dangerous than it does look safe. I would not want to ride a xj with one of those without a helmet!

If you need a cage, you need a real cage.

Michael

If you want a better (start to a) cage for a lot less money, look at the d and c extreme cage.

I say "start to a cage" because to complete it you should still add some triangulation at the B pillar to maximize strength.

http://www.dandcextreme.com/product_template.asp?pkID=126

HTH

I definitely wouldn't trust that to protect occupants in a rollover. As strong as those clamps are, they can and will slide if enough force is applied. D&C would be a much better start, at least there's is weld-in. If you can find someone locally for $1k you can do a lot better and safer.

Back