• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 tear down problems..

Mrburns

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm trying to take apart my D35...and i am running into a prroblem. The case says 35c...but i see no C-clips..(hmm)...and the axle shafts don't move inward at all.....so i'm thinking the guy i got the axle from swapped it to a none c-clip? that is possible correct ?? aside from that i can't get what i think is the Pinion shaft out.. Does it have a set screw holding it? (if so whatsize??) Or do i just bang the hell out of it till it falls apart??? Someone please help. I just want to take the stupid fawker apart... Thanks
:confused:

D35C stands for Custom not c-clip there are retainer plates behind the brakes that you need to loosen to get the axles out. Do you mean the shaft in the carrier with the gears if so there is some type of screw or pin in there mine was a roller pin that had to be knocked out with a punch. just spin the carrier till you can see a little hole that goes from across the shaft you are talking about and use a punch to knock it out ( or you might have a bolt) also you may have to take of one of the carrier clips the big things with two bolts. HTH
DIG IT

Like Bucky said, take out the 4 bolts holding the backing plates and axle retainers to the axle housing on each side. Slide the axle shafts out (read pull really hard), then worry about removing the crosshaft from the carrier as you'll need the axleshafts out to get the spiders & sidegears out anyway. Take your time & you'll figure it out. I'm assuming your installing a drop in locker? You can remove the bearing caps & pull the carrier to work on it on the bench, however be sure to mark each bearing cap top/bottom & side/side so that you dont mix them up. Also remove the shims carefully and keep them separate so you get it back together with the correct backlash. It's not that difficult just be sure to take this advice & mark everything or you'll regret it later. :eek:

wow...thanks guys....So is a 35C rare or is this the older "pre-C-clip" style? just kinda curious.... and actually i'm trying to get rid of this thing. I was parting it out. Again...Thanks a bunch..

A 35c is neither "older" nor rare. It doesn't actually mean "custom," it means "customer." It's a designation for an axle manufactured by Dana-Spicer and shipped to the customer in parts, for final assembly by the customer. All XJ Dana 35s are 35c, both the early non-c-clip axles and the later c-clip axles.

Mrburns, parting out an XJ in Pleasanton? I live in Pleasanton. What year model, and what type of aftermarket parts do you have? I may be interested in some of them.

Bryan C.

E-mail or PM me if you want. Thanks

brian...i'm just getting rid of a 35c axle housing...w 456s and a lockright... and i have some stock leaf springs...4.5 lift coils...thats about it. Thanks though.

Back