• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken 2" blocks, any experience?

MyJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.tomken.com/detail.php?id=204

Id rather do the blocks, for NO MORE than 2" (more than that, I dont agree with blocks at all, IMHO). Was wondering, what you thought of these blocks? They dont look like the CAST blocks that everyone has trouble with/breaks/squirts out.

My XJ sits level right now, rear packs appear to be in very good condition.

BTW, I may just go with longer Rancho shocks than to install the extensions.

Feedback/suggestions please...

I only want about 2" of trouble free life for an OEM ride on 235/maybe 30" tires.

Thanks!
Andrew

235's fit fine on stock, I ran it like that before I lifted it. 30's I think have some rubbing, but fit if you stay on the road.

Honestly, i wouldn't run blocks on stock springs, on "built" or aftermarket?? Yeah 1" would be cool (add MJ shackle for 2")

Jesse

Once you install those blocks, your leaf springs will begin to sag, and you'll regret ever wasting any time in installing them.

MyJeepXJ said:
http://www.tomken.com/detail.php?id=204

Id rather do the blocks, for NO MORE than 2" (more than that, I dont agree with blocks at all, IMHO). Was wondering, what you thought of these blocks? They dont look like the CAST blocks that everyone has trouble with/breaks/squirts out.

My XJ sits level right now, rear packs appear to be in very good condition.

BTW, I may just go with longer Rancho shocks than to install the extensions.

Feedback/suggestions please...

I only want about 2" of trouble free life for an OEM ride on 235/maybe 30" tires.

Thanks!
Andrew

2" tera flex budget boost
uses shackles instead of blocks

VegasAnthony said:
2" tera flex budget boost
uses shackles instead of blocks

Gotcha...
Link to shackles? Im looking for 2" shacks?? Who has the best, but
without spending a fortune?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

My 2" Autozone aluminum block are fine, I trail ride pretty damn hard. Keep your U bolts tight and they won't move. Any higher that 2" isn't good. My springs aren't sagging one bit. Shackles will make your spring sag before blocks will. With a 2" block you get a true 2" of lift, where a 2" shackle will give you only 1" of lift. You'd need 4" shackles for 2" of full lift in the back, that's no good.

i've had decent luck with blocks - no sagging at all. however, i'd recommend against aluminum. they MIGHT work for some - but there is no denying that steel is WAY better. and since they don't really cost much more....

i don't know if the ones you're looking at are tapered or not, but i'd only get 'em if they are. i'd recommend against blocks AND shims together.

Dookie said:
i've had decent luck with blocks - no sagging at all. however, i'd recommend against aluminum. they MIGHT work for some - but there is no denying that steel is WAY better. and since they don't really cost much more....

I didn't have problems with blocks either.

I've seen aluminum blocks crack in half. That was an interesting trail run. :D

mine have busted in half. i went through two sets of rusty's aluminum blocks. got home once and noticed... hmmm... i'm listing to starboard pretty heavily!

the good news (small props to rusty), called him and asked - WTF??!? so he sent me a pair of solid steel ones for free. no issues with those!

Thanx for the info! I may look at a set of alum ones, and see about fabricating some steel ones (I did welding and fabrication for a few years, still have plenty of tools and toys to work with (welder, torch, sawzall, etc.. etc..))

Thanx again!
Andrew

Dookie said:
mine have busted in half. i went through two sets of rusty's aluminum blocks. got home once and noticed... hmmm... i'm listing to starboard pretty heavily!

the good news (small props to rusty), called him and asked - WTF??!? so he sent me a pair of solid steel ones for free. no issues with those!

I like solid steel because they can be tacked to the spring perches. :)

I had the ones from Tomken and they were made of steel and were really strong, I would not recomend blocks but if you must those are the ones you will want

cal said:
barillms said:
Shackles will make your spring sag before blocks will. /QUOTE]

Explain the physics behind that one?
A long shackle lowers the rear end of the leaf spring, it changes the geometry and puts more stress on the spring and eventually causes the leaf to flatten out. A block acts as a spacer between your axle and leaf spring, it doesn't change the angle of the spring.

barillms said:
cal said:
A long shackle lowers the rear end of the leaf spring, it changes the geometry and puts more stress on the spring and eventually causes the leaf to flatten out. A block acts as a spacer between your axle and leaf spring, it doesn't change the angle of the spring.

While thats true, in the six or seven sets of leaf springs I have run (and worn out or destroyed) in the past 10 years, three of them had blocks. Two of those turned into giant "W" arching over the spring, isntead of "going flat". The third is on a monsterous leaf pack with 17 leaf's on a 1962 ford, and I'm fairly sure nothing short of melting them down will change the arch on those.

When you run a shackle though, you don't get the W, so while it does flatten out, its not as exagerated.. but at the same time, lowering the rear of the spring twists the pinion up just that hair to compensate for some of the extra leaf. Less bad, more good.

xjj33p3r said:
Once you install those blocks, your leaf springs will begin to sag, and you'll regret ever wasting any time in installing them.

wow - that is wonderful...

and true...

:wierd:

Back