• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

biggest tire for stock 2001 cherokee sport

ny_busboy

NAXJA Forum User
it will be greatly appreciated if anybody can tell me what is the biggest tire i can put on a stock 2001 cherokee sport. if it is 30x9.5, would it create any rubbing on the fender? thanks!

Depending on the tire (some are slightly bigger than others) there might be some rear fender rub when there is a lot of weight in the back. Their might also be some rubbing on the lower control arms in the front but this is easily overcome by moving out the steering stops a tad.

thank you rumblebelly,

1. have you had this size of tire on your xj?

2. do you recommend having 30x9.5x15 or 235x75x15? im thinking of getting the goodyear mt/r. i currently have a 235x75x15 and i think it is still too small.

3. and also, does the 235x75x15 fits n a 15x8 wheel?

and also, to anybody, which one you recommend that performs great on snow and wet pavement with less noise. im mostly on road but looking for a tough looking tires.

a. BF Goodrich Mud Terrain

b. Goodyear MT/R

c. Mickey Thompson Baja Belted

ny_busboy said:
thank you rumblebelly,

2. do you recommend having 30x9.5x15 or 235x75x15? im thinking of getting the goodyear mt/r. i currently have a 235x75x15 and i think it is still too small.

and also, to anybody, which one you recommend that performs great on snow and wet pavement with less noise. im mostly on road but looking for a tough looking tires.

b. Goodyear MT/R

Are you looking for a tire for the sake of looks or for performance. A Bridgestone Dueraler Revo AT will beat the performance of a M/T on any wet pavement and is outstanding in mud and snow. It is alsow quiet and has a good look.

If you want something that just looks knarley, then you are going to have to put up with noise, less gas milage and tire milage and poorer performance on the highway.

Oh well, to each his own.

i am actually looking for both, looks but not sacrificing the performance. i actually saw the bridgestone and it shows that it beats the goodyear and bf goodrich. i will be considering that. thanks!

another question;

1. if i decide to put a 235x75x15, what size of wheel should i put? 15x7 or 15x8? and what is the backspacing? is 4.00 backspacing fine?

2. if i decide to put 30x9.5x15, what should be the offset for a 15x8 wheel? is 4.00 backspacing fine?

i am actually planning to buy a 15x8 with 4.00 bacspacing with 30x9.5 goodyear mt/r

and/or

15x7 with 4.00 backspacing with 235x75x15

which one you think is better in performance and appearance?

whats the differece in backspacing between the 15x7 stock and the black cragar 15x7 4.0 backspace being sold in quadratec?

ny_busboy said:
thank you rumblebelly,

b. Goodyear MT/R

Actually, I had something bigger on my stock Classic 00 XJ when I bought it: 255/70/16 Firestone AT (yuck). I think they were around 30" but an inch wider than your typical 30x9.5x15. The extra width might have been the reason why it rubbed on the rear fenders with a lot of weight in the back (meaning two adults and a 100lb lab in the back...glad I wasn't back there). Now I'm running 235/70/16 Yoko Geolandars AT which is about the same as 235/75/15. However on my old xj, an 88, I ran 30x9.5 Dunlop RV Rovers and there was rubbing up front on the control arms and that's it. But I've heard with the design of the newer fenders some guys have had rubbing in the back fenders with this size tire.

Personally if I didn't have a Classic and had 15" rims, I'd probably go back to a LT30x9.5x15. They look pretty good and having LT tires gives me a little more piece of mind than passenger tires. A little rubbing doesn't bother me a whole bunch. Up front you can easily remove the rubbing but you compromise your turning radius. On my old 88, I just let it rub.

Here is a great resource if you are shopping for tires. It has specs on most tires and is full of user reviews:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

Mud tires perform in mud. They are not great in snow and they are very bad on wet pavement. And they are not quiet.

You have established mutually exclusive criteria.

ny_busboy said:

b. Goodyear MT/R

I agree with Eagle. Unless you plan on going mudding or some serious off roading, I'd just get some aggressive looking AT's. They won't look as tough but they perform a lot better in most driving situations.

thank you guys, i might get a BFG AT. my next problem is, im planning to but a black steel wheels from quadratec. if i go with 235x75x15, would it fit with 15x8 4.0 backspacing or should i get the 15x7 w/ 4.0 backspacing? would it fit the jeep with no issues? I believe that the 4.0 backspacing will make the tires stick out by 1 inch.

ny_busboy said:
whats the differece in backspacing between the 15x7 stock and the black cragar 15x7 4.0 backspace being sold in quadratec?
Stock backspacing is 5.25" so those Cragars would stick out 1.25" farther. The 235s fit very nicely with no lift on stock tires, putting them that far out without a lift is very likely going to cause some problems with hitting your fender flares.

but if i want the tires to stick out a little bit, would a 235x75x15 fit on a 15x8 rims? is it recommended?

or

if I decided to go with 30x9.5x15, would this fit on a 15x8 rims?

Back