• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Trans prob after wheeling w/ 98 Cherokee!!!!

Jr.Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, here's the deal, maybe you can help me out on this one. Late saturday night, after and during the hard rain, my brother decided to go up behind the Cogent Plant in Nesquehoning 4 wheeling. Well he went through the sippi hole with no problems but on the way back, his jeep shut off going through a deeper hole. Well after drying out the Distributor, it started and he got out and everything was OK. Well now after going over the Jeep, it stays in 1st gear. Its a 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport 4.0 auto. This thing does not want to shift out of first gear. What the heck could be going on. We dropped the trans fluid and everything was clean. Its only got 99,000 miles on it so I figure some how some way something got in there or its something electronic or with some luck something simple and stupid. So, if anyone has any clue what could be going on, please let me know. Thanks

Check the VSS. Usually if it stays in first gear it is because the VSS is not working, and the computer doesn't think the car is moving so it doesn't shift. Check to see if the speedo works, if it doesn't then its a sure bet that its the problem. If the speedo is working check to see if your XJ has two VSS. Chrysler usually uses two, one in the diff (which works the gage), and one in either the tranny or t-case (which controls shifts). Hope this helps.

Bryan

Back