• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers/LS help... yes I searched... and long.

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
Seems most every thread asks for background on rig and usage so I'll start there.

Rig:
Body- 97'XJ 4 door, stock t-case and gas tank skids, with C4x4F rock rails and front hooks, class IV hitch.
Power train- stock 4.0, ax-15, d231, SYE and d/s, d30(jks quickers) and cryco8.25(29 spline)(removed sway)) are open and 3.07'd.
2.5" lift via OME up front and custom overload leafs ome shocks.
stock steel wheels with 30x9.5 bfg at's.

Vehicle usage:
95% wife’s daily driver, grocery getter, run about, highway cruiser.
We wheel approx. 6-8 times a year, on aggressive trails (for the rig anyways, 3.0-3.5+ on a 5.0 rating-5being impassable without winch/body damage) and are often smiled at and told we'll never make it... very frequently... kinda funny now that we're used to it.

The rig will not likely see anymore lift or an increase in tire size on account of many snowballing variables($$$) when doing either/both.

When wheeled, I try and keep a light approach to things, only use momentum as a last resort. The rails and skids are well used, but not abused.
I hate mud and avoid it like the plague, and, snow, well, the only snow we’ll see will be highway situation, and, likely will not run in 4-hi… possibly some trail snow, but, will not be at speed.

A couple of trails are off limit do to flex/traction...
I've accomplished them without strapping(and no wife on board), but the pucker factor on some of the climbs/descents were... *ahem*... most exhilarating... enough so that I'll not go back without better equipment... but are beautiful trails and would love to run them.

I’ve pretty much decided on 4.10’s for gearing as the 3.07’s are a complete joke.

So, diff's...
Until recently I though about TrueTracks for their invisibility on road.
In searching here, I read that with one wheel in the air, they do not lock up. Well, that is the only time I need them to lock up so… Some say a tap on the brake locks them, others say it doesn’t. Now, I’m pretty accustom to driving the 5spd in the rough with one foot braking to control speed(3.07's), so, if they do lock under braking, I like them a lot.

I’ve been avoiding selectable lockers due to complexity/linkage, but would listen to advice on different brands.

I’ve been reading that full lockers are invisible in the D30 in 2-hi(stock automatic hubs)… but am a little concerned about turning on the tight trails here in the desert.
I’ll not consider a full locker, or even a lunch box in the rear, I don’t like them on the street, not even a little, and am certain my wife would hate! hate! hate! them... and it's her d/d.

So, what would you do for diff's if starting over again on a daily driver?

Last edited:
I wouldn't even consider a trutrac in the back....unless you have very strong discs to make it work. I LOVE my trutrac in the front...I get one tire off the ground and ride the brakes really hard...it LOCKS. Some people will call me a liar... but here's a larger shot of my avatar. Posi in the back on soft dirt...right front completely off the ground...left front leaving rubber marks up the log while it pulls me onto it.

ehir8g.jpg

I am soon installing a locker in the rear...the posi units are worthless for crawling. In your case I would go trutrac front, and leave the rear open until you decide you want a locker.

Then again...ARB's would be sweet if you have the dough.

Im in a similar situation to you right now...my XJ sees 80+ miles of highway time between trails and durring the winter months, a rear auto locker could and probably would spell disaster. A buddy of mine recently put an Aussie locker in the front of his XJ and an ARB in the rear...on the street in 2-hi, you dont notice the front at all. On the trail though, its a godsend. Its amazing the difference having just a single axle will make. When the going gets really nasty, just flip the switch and it locks the rear in and makes that XJ nearly invincible(well almost! :laugh3: ). You do notice the decreaced turning radius on tight trails...but dropping it back into 2-hi will get you through really tight stuff without having to back up and give it another shot...and with the rear locked, will still push you over less "hardcore" obsticles. Considering the setup you currently have, and what your trying to do here is my recomendation:

31x10.5" All terrain or mud terrain tires of some sort with a little bit of careful fender trimming will fit perfectly with your 2.5 inch lift and will give you a little more clearance than what you have now.

The 4.10 gears will help tremendously, especially since your running a 5-speed. Your clutch and your clutch foot will thank you. However...if your not seeing a ton of highway mileage, go with 4.56's...i run 4.56's with 31's in my XJ and it still does fine on the highway at 70 and still gets 17+ MPG.

Go with an automatic locker of some sort for the front. Aussie would be my vote as their track record and performance is proven to be fantastic.

If you decide you want to put a little more money into it, id go with the ARB in the rear...just a little bit extra peice of mind for when you get in those really "butt puckering" situations.

The front locker and gearing alone will take you places you never thought that XJ would go...id start there then re-evaluate what else you might need while still retaining streetability.

Last edited:
Jeffro600 said:
Im in a similar situation to you right now...my XJ sees 80+ miles of highway time between trails and durring the winter months, a rear auto locker could and probably would spell disaster. A buddy of mine recently put an Aussie locker in the front of his XJ and an ARB in the rear...on the street in 2-hi, you dont notice the front at all. On the trail though, its a godsend. Its amazing the difference having just a single axle will make. When the going gets really nasty, just flip the switch and it locks the rear in and makes that XJ nearly invincible(well almost! :laugh3: ). You do notice the decreaced turning radius on tight trails...but dropping it back into 2-hi will get you through really tight stuff without having to back up and give it another shot...and with the rear locked, will still push you over less "hardcore" obsticles. Considering the setup you currently have, and what your trying to do here is my recomendation:

31x10.5" All terrain or mud terrain tires of some sort with a little bit of careful fender trimming will fit perfectly with your 2.5 inch lift and will give you a little more clearance than what you have now.

The 4.10 gears will help tremendously, especially since your running a 5-speed. Your clutch and your clutch foot will thank you. However...if your not seeing a ton of highway mileage, go with 4.56's...i run 4.56's with 31's in my XJ and it still does fine on the highway at 70 and still gets 17+ MPG.

Go with an automatic locker of some sort for the front. Aussie would be my vote as their track record and performance is proven to be fantastic.

If you decide you want to put a little more money into it, id go with the ARB in the rear...just a little bit extra peice of mind for when you get in those really "butt puckering" situations.

The front locker and gearing alone will take you places you never thought that XJ would go...id start there then re-evaluate what else you might need while still retaining streetability.

i agree completely.. the aussie is awesome in front.. now in the back i can deal with the aussie.. but i dont drive agressively.. it just requires letting off the throttle a little bit in turns.. I only drive mine to and back from school "130 miles" and i have no problem with it. I guess most wouldnt like it back there but i do.. A no slip might be a little more road worthy..

If i were u. I would try to find someone that woul;d let you zoom around in their rig with an auto locker.. Which is what i did before buying the Aussies front and rear

OK guys, thanks.
A friend has the no slip in his D44(rear) 4spd CJ, and I do not like it around town, and I know my wife would be of similar opinion... so it is out as far as the rear goes.

The more I read/search the more I think selectable's are the way to go given the rig see's over 350 miles of street/freeway driving a week.

4.56's... You know, I've been torn between 4.56's and 4.10's.
Does a 31" spare fit in the stock location? I've heard only if deflated...
I suppose if ARB's are present, a deflated spare is not a big deal...

Man, this stuff is tough.

If cost is a major issue, I wouldn't overlook a pair of limited slips for occasional off road adventures. ARB's are great, but you pay for them. I have been running F/R limited slips for a while now, and sitting at about 2.5" on 31's I have gone through the Rubicion twice without taking a strap and only taking the big bypasses (like little sluice...).

In two years of moderate wheeling I have gotten stuck exactly once where lockers would have gotten me through...

And since you are regearing anyway, if you do want an auto locker in the front (or rear) consider getting a full detroit for a couple hundred more. (you would need new carriers for the aussie anyway)

FWIW, I am running 4.56's with a manual, and absolutely love it.

Travis

Zebaru said:
(you would need new carriers for the aussie anyway)

Travis
say what ??

mayby I misread the thread
why would he need new carriers for an Aussie??

and to answer the post
IMO women hate the cliclky, click of lockers

VegasAnthony said:
say what ??

and to answer the post
IMO women hate the cliclky, click of lockers

More like new carriers for the gearing...i think your limited to 3.55's or somewhere in that neighborhood with the stock D30 carrier.

Mike H. said:
I’ve been reading that full lockers are invisible in the D30 in 2-hi(stock automatic hubs)… but am a little concerned about turning on the tight trails here in the desert.
IF you have unlockable hubs, that would be true. Otherwise, your wife will hate the clickity poppety pop that they do in tight turns on pavement. I've been using a front lockright for many years and don't think they mess up your turning on the trail.

If you plan on keeping the 8.25, I'd vote for an ARB back there. If you think you might swap that out in the future for a d44 or 8.8, then a TruTrac up front is a good bet.

Thinking out of the box.....can you get the wife a different car, making this your dd so you can run lockers f&r?

VegasAnthony said:
say what ??

Yeah, that was a little misleading I guess - I meant new carrier for the lower gears if you plan on running a drop in locker. Of course with a Detroit, ARB, or Limited Slip, you get to avoid the extra $50 or so for the new carrier. Just trying to be a little fairer in the comparison...

Travis

I went with the ARB lockers front and rear with 4.11's. I run a 6.5 inch L/A with 33's. The lockers and gears were the best investment. I went with the ARB's because my wife had to drive the XJ to work and back on some occasions, and she was worried about some of the unpredictable driving behavior that some of the solid lockers can cause. She didnt like the idea of tires chirping around corners and the occasional possibility of skipping a tooth (BOOOOOM!).

I like the ARB's, I have been able to go anywhere with the best of them since I had them installed and I would never change a thing.

Back