• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamper TSL tire pressure

kr7o

NAXJA Member #1146
What are you guys with TSLs running for tire pressure on rocks? I have busted the bead on one tire twice now. I probably should have had the tire professionally dismounted and mounted after the first time (will do so this time) as I know there is a ton of dirt in there now. I was running 7# the first time and 8# the second time. After breaking the bead the second time I brought all four tires up to 10#.

Was I just unlucky the first time and didn't get a good set, or should I be looking for beadlocks? I am running 33x10.5" on 15x7" steel rims and they have >50 miles on them (primarily a trail rig).

not TSL's, but I have been running my trxus m/t's at 9. 12 was way too much. no bagging at all. 10 was probably the safest. 9 works great for me but I've got OBA.

FWIW, I ran 38" TSL's on my last CJ at 4 psi with no beadlocks and never lost a bead.

well if you dont' mind filing up your tires after you blow a bead then keep them where they are if you want to keep the tires on the rim either air up or get beadlocks

33x10.5's, I'm guessing those are Radial TSL's?

Bias TSL's act differently from the Radials, but here's my experience anway:

My old 33x12.5 Bias TSL's took a while to break the sidewalls in.
When they were new, and stiff, they would de-bead easy.

Stiff sidewalls transfer more force to the bead when they contact an object.
As they soften up, and flex more, they're less likely to pop off the beads.

Also, any tire is more likely to de-bead when it's just recently been mounted.

Your choices would be:
run more PSI, and break them in slower, but with less de-beading,
or run less pressure, break them in faster, while loosing the bead more often till they're fully broken in.

I've popped a bead in deep mud ruts on my 32x9.50s TSLs on stock wheels with 16 pounds this past weekend. They are new and very stiff still Some of my buddies run 10 pounds without problems. Most recommend 8-10lbs. I'm going to take them down to 10 to help the sidewalls break in faster.

in your case a 950 on a 7" wheel makes it pretty easy to pop the bead. for the other guy, i would just run 10# or get some locks for em if you want to go lower

fwiw, 12# works great on my 12.50 raidals on a 8" wheel.

I totally solved the problem on my TSLs by installing inner tubes. Something I should have done long ago. Now I can run any reasonable pressure and can be sure the tire will stay mounted.

Why mess with the hastle of bead locks.

rstarch345 said:
I totally solved the problem on my TSLs by installing inner tubes. Something I should have done long ago. Now I can run any reasonable pressure and can be sure the tire will stay mounted.

Why mess with the hastle of bead locks.

Have you spun a tire on the rim before? This happens a lot to me and the guys I wheel with. Then the tube doesn't move the same, and the valve stem gets lost. Then you have to dismount the tire and its a complete pita.

SewerBoss said:
Have you spun a tire on the rim before? This happens a lot to me and the guys I wheel with. Then the tube doesn't move the same, and the valve stem gets lost. Then you have to dismount the tire and its a complete pita.
Nope. Brushed some Green Slime on the inside of the wheel, tube and tire and so far has worked well by keeping everything in place. I can always tell when the bead pops in the mud as I have a bead of mud ooze around the rim.

Can't say it won't happen, just not so far.

Thanks for the replies. The guys in my local club were saying 5-8#. I do have the bias TSL's and may have quoted the wrong width. I will get the failed one re-mounted, two trail re-mounts have introduced a bit of dirt, and run them at 10# for a while and go from there.

Here is a picture of the rock that caused the problem. I got hung up in front and backed into that rock.

image001.jpg

It was really a PITA position to do a repair.

I have new 36'' x 12.5 tsl/sx on a 15 x 10. I ran them hard on the rocks this past weekend for the first time. I started at 15 psi and worked my way down to 7 with improved traction as the psi got lower. I would have gone to 4-5 but did not get a chance to. Next trip I will.

At 7 psi had a few releases of air on one tire and that was it.

There was no bulging at the tire contact to the trail unless I was climbing a rock or something and it was minimal at that. They need some more break in time.

Back