• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputtering problem

90 xj

NAXJA Forum User
last week one of my buddies did an injection cleaning on my jeep, it seemed to run ok untill about 2 days after he did it. when i first start it up in the morning and it warms up to operating temp. it runs fine but then i will shut it off for like 10 min and start it back up it will stary rev up to 2000 rpms and then drop to like 250 rpms and it will idol ok at that rpm but if you try to drive it or rev it it sputters and back fires really bad. But...if i put it to the floor and let it hit like 4 grand it will fun fine immeaditly and it will run perfect untill i shut it off again, and then it will do the same thing. a guy at my work thinks that when i cleaned the injectors the the "dirt" that was inside there was helping the seals hold since they are so old. i was just wondering what any of you guys thought. Specs 1990 xj 4.0 rebuilt 10000 miles on it wit upgraded cam and auto tranny. as far as i know the injectors have never been changed so i might just end up changing them any way.
jake

Back