• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping door locks

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody out there got any tips or tricks on getting out the door locks off of a early XJ. The push clip is at a real awkward angle for my old decrepid body and I can't seem to get them to come off. The little doors on the locks do not close and around here, they will end up freezing shut. The second thing is that I don't have a key for the doors on this unit anyway, so I either have to have a key made or buy three new lock cylinders. I would perfer new locks.

When I did mine a few years ago I remember it being a pain but I remember using a really long flat bladed screwdriver at the base of the clip and slipping them off by applying pressure to the clip

The question is how to get it in there at the right angle. I've done dozens of locks on vehicles over the years, but these seem to be a royal pain.

Well, If it's anything close to my 89' XJ. All we did was remove the fake plastic "button" on the inner door jam, and used a flat bladed screwdriver to pry the clip off. When you open the door its a fake button on the far side (towards rear of xj) near the top. I dont' know if that will help...

Take it easy,
Justin

I was wondering if that would give an angle to get to the clip. Thanks, I will try that.

Also if you unbolt the locking mechanism of the door as well, it'll give you some more room to work. I did mine like mentioned above, unbolting the locking mechanism, and with the door panel removed and the window up, could easily get one hand inside to guide the screwdriver inside. The clip can be a bit wedged in, but a bit of force down on the clip and patience should get it off for you fairly easily. I found it harder to get the metal clip off the end of the lock cylinder than the clip keeping it in the door.

It's not like I haven't sacrificed a bit of skin and a lot of blood on this rig. I will give it a shot.

LOL Man I know that one!! I've got some nice scars working on my '90 over the last year, and tons of cuts on both hands getting the steering column switched out on the '89. [now if I could only get it started!] Usually don't notice I've done something until I see blood all over. It's all good though.

Too bad you aren't local, I would get yours started for changing the locks.

I changed my locks about 2 months ago, so it's still kind of fresh. I did mine at night, talk about hell on earth.

The tools I used included a long standard headed screwdriver, a pair of needle nose pliers, a small pair of vise grips Or (1) Zipties! Use the zipties to hold the needle nose pliers together when you're installing the "e-clip". This might work better since there's very little room to work with.

Follow these other guys advices of taking off the little button on the side of the door Use it to see in.

Use the screwdriver to take off the "c-clip" that holds the lock onto the door. After that's done you want to take off that little "e-clip" that holds the lock onto the linkage (be sure not to lose these), do that with the needle nose pliers. Those two steps are all you need to take the lock off. The lock comes out through the front.

To install the locks, put the little "e-clip" on first. You'll want to use the small visegrips to be able to grip the tiny clip, or refer to (1). Just get it on the little nub just enough, You'll want to give the little clip sort of a turning motion to get it back on. After you get through that hell just slide the big "c-clip back on to hold the lock in place.

You'll be golden.

FYI : It was hell doing this my first time, It took me about 1 1/2 for the first lock, and about 20 minutes for the second. Once you get the hang of it though, it becomes cake.

Which reminds me....I need to replace my hatch lock. I'm going to start searching.....

old_man said:
Too bad you aren't local, I would get yours started for changing the locks.

True true..........and I've done enough ripping my doors apart that It's pretty easy for me now. :rattle: Feel like a nice roadtrip?? LOL

uvaldetxj said:
I changed my locks about 2 months ago, so it's still kind of fresh. I did mine at night, talk about hell on earth.

The tools I used included a long standard headed screwdriver, a pair of needle nose pliers, a small pair of vise grips Or (1) Zipties! Use the zipties to hold the needle nose pliers together when you're installing the "e-clip". This might work better since there's very little room to work with.

Follow these other guys advices of taking off the little button on the side of the door Use it to see in.

Use the screwdriver to take off the "c-clip" that holds the lock onto the door. After that's done you want to take off that little "e-clip" that holds the lock onto the linkage (be sure not to lose these), do that with the needle nose pliers. Those two steps are all you need to take the lock off. The lock comes out through the front.

To install the locks, put the little "e-clip" on first. You'll want to use the small visegrips to be able to grip the tiny clip, or refer to (1). Just get it on the little nub just enough, You'll want to give the little clip sort of a turning motion to get it back on. After you get through that hell just slide the big "c-clip back on to hold the lock in place.

You'll be golden.

FYI : It was hell doing this my first time, It took me about 1 1/2 for the first lock, and about 20 minutes for the second. Once you get the hang of it though, it becomes cake.

Which reminds me....I need to replace my hatch lock. I'm going to start searching.....

LOL had the same thing when I did my first door. In the dark with a flashlight and a hell of a lot longer than it's taken me to do one since!

Rear hatch is pretty easy. IIRC, it's just a clip that comes out. Just be careul when doing it you don't break off the plastic lift tab is all that you don't snap it. THen it just lifts out.

Tom, try putting your ignition key into the door locks that you will be installing. On the older XJs like yours and mine, the keyways aren't supposed to be the same, but often the ignition key will go into the door locks (but not the other way around). If so, you can have a locksmith key the door cylinders to work with the ignition key and reduce the load in your pocket by the weight of one key.

Hey thought of something
I remember now getting a pair of robogrip pliers around one and using it to pop the clip.. i remember removing that "button" and doing the screwdriver now come to think of it

Back