• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack and Tap lifespan?

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
I need to order a SYE, but have heard many conflicting things about them. I only want to run 31's and do moderate wheeling so I talked to DPG and he thought that the hack and tap would be fine for that, but then I talked to someplace else locally and was told that is was garbage and they they will only last between 15k and 30k miles. DPG seems to be a reputable place so I am leaning towards what he is telling me.

I have had mine on with 33" Swampers and now 33" BFG AT's and wheeled it pretty hard for over the last 2.5 years with over 25k in miles without a problem. So I would go with it, mine is on a NP242 Select Trac T-case. Juice

The hack & tap has treated me well for about 3 years now. I don't put many miles on the rig, but the miles that I have put on it are not just to the cornor store & back. I went the "cheap" route because I didn't want to spend big money on this T-case in favor of getting an Atlas when the 231 blows apart. I'm still waiting & eye balling that pretty atlas. Eventually I'm just going to have to break down & get one. If you plan on never upgrading to an atlas or dana 300 flipped your probably better off going with the heavier shaft replacement SYE & never having to worry about it no matter what trails you try. If you're going to stay on moderate trails & don't have a heavey right foot than the hack & tap SYE should be just fine for the life of your rig. For what it's worth the hack & tap has taken my rig with 35" MTR's, 4:88 gears, locked front & rear, over some of the toughest trails in the western US. I don't expect it to last forever, but I didn't expect it to last this long.

Matt

Moto, these guys know there stuff. I run it as well with my 32x9.5 TSL's

Where in Mass are you? I'm in S. NH....doing a run in Mass this Sunday as a matter of fact! Who did you speak with locally? Lou?

Dirk is an awsome guy,I have purchased all my RE stuff from him!There is nothing "wrong" with the hack-n-tap kit,but it might not cure "all" your driveshaft problems(being a 98).I bought one when I first went to 3" but I still ended up having some vibes.Then I bought the JB Conversions kit and its been flawless since.

Tozovr.. I am located in Andover MA, probably 15 min from Salem NH. Yeah I spoke with Lou from Elia's, he is also the one that insisted that I needed to buy adjustable LCA's saying that they are what adjusted the caster and pinion angles, which is contrary to what everyone else has said. I didn't want to have to buy ALCA's they are a bit more than uppers.

I just ordered just about everything I needed from Dirk he was more than helpfull. got the R.E 4.5 AAL, SYE and shaft, No-slip, OME shocks, hd track bar, JKS disco's, adjustable UCA's and some shims. Hopefully I will be all set to lift and have no vibes. Still lookin for some tires, tank skid, and a rear reciever hitch for a tow point.

Have had mine in for close to 100,000 miles now.It does have some play in the splines,but nothing major.
Wayne

Mine has been in for like 2 years and it only leaks. I have replaced the seal twice and had to use loctite sleeve sealer to hold it in place this last time. Other than that it has been fine.

Tim

Back