• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic gas tank - where to get?

xj4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I woke up today to find a puddle of gas under my rig :smsoap:. Pulled the reciever hitch, skid and tank to find rust-a-lot :(.

I'd like to replace the metal tank with a tough plastic tank. However, I'd like to use my existing gas skid so it needs to mirror OE.

I thought I saw them a few years back through JCWhitney or Summit, but now can't find them anywhere?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Kent :)

Littlewhitexj said:
what year XJ, my 98 came from the factory w/ a plastic tank.
Yup, older models came with metal tanks while newer one got plastic tanks. If one is to replace a metal one with a plastic one, there are couple things to keep in mind: fuel pumps and lines are slightly different and some creativity needs to be aplied in order to make that work.
I'd get a replacemnt metal tank and paint it good and be done with it. It should last another dozen years or so.

Couple of companies make replacment steel ones with built in skids as well as larger capacity, 27 gallons comes to mind. I just don't remember the names, JP Magazine did one back in 98 and it was a straight bolt in. Aero-something...

RichP said:
Couple of companies make replacment steel ones with built in skids as well as larger capacity, 27 gallons comes to mind. I just don't remember the names, JP Magazine did one back in 98 and it was a straight bolt in. Aero-something...

Rocky Road has one, 32 gallons I believe. Though the sucker hangs way down.

Thanks guys. I've got a 94, which I figured might be tough to retrofit a new plastic tank from a 97+.

Kejtar - Plan-B is to get another metal tank, POR-15 it with a top coat. I suspect this is the quickiest and easiest fix, even though I really would like MST plastic.

I found the Rocky Road 32 gal tank last night. While it looke great, I agree it hangs down too much.

Thanks again guys!!!
Kent

Be aware that most tanks rust from the inside out. I had a 69 Willys that the tank looked new, not a dent or spec of rust on from the outside, bunch of pinhole leaks and I had to replace it.
I think the other company that makes them is aerotanks http://www.aerotanks.com/jeep.html

Thanks Rich.. I didn't consider it might have rusted from the inside out. Once I pull the tank and pop the fuel pump I'll eyeball where the problem occurred.

I guess this is one more reason to go poly if I can retro fit a new tank.

Thanks,
Kent :)

Kejtar said:
Yup, older models came with metal tanks while newer one got plastic tanks. If one is to replace a metal one with a plastic one, there are couple things to keep in mind: fuel pumps and lines are slightly different and some creativity needs to be aplied in order to make that work.
I'd get a replacemnt metal tank and paint it good and be done with it. It should last another dozen years or so.

Kejtar - You were certainly on the money. I haven't compared tank dimensions yet, but the newer tanks only use 1 fuel line whereas my older 94 has two separate lines (1 feed 1 return). It looks like I'd have to change the fuel rail over to the newer design as well.

Anyone know of someone that has actually done this?

Thanks
Kent

Back