• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GDI installed

t bell

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my GDI for about a month now. This thing is super bad. I have straight water in it and the temp barely reaches over 210. With temps reaching 95F I knew this thing would overheat. I guess my 12 year old radiator couldn't stay up to speed. It has gotten to the point where I want it to get hotter so I can see what the temp reads.

They are great aren't they. It will never go above 200 on mine sitting in traffic and on the highway it says at around 175. So turn on the ac and sit in 100 degree traffic and see what happens. If the thermostat is up to it, it will stay around 200-210. depending on what temp the t-stat is. Juice

you may want a stroker, they make a bit more heat, should make that problem go away quick.

All the people with overheat problems are always complaining about the GDI... Mine works great and I rarely get to 210. That stock piece of junk killed my previous engine because the person that owned it just let the engine overheat all the time. I've never seen mine get about 215 no matter how hard I try!

t bell said:
I have straight water in it and the temp barely reaches over 210.

You shouldn't run straight water. Anti-freeze acts as a rust inhibitor, and also lubricates the seal in the water pump.

Hey guys, I just picked up a GDI and I tried installing it this morning. I had three of the four rubber isolator studs shear off. Whats the deal with this? I'm having a new one shipped this afternoon, but I don't want this to happen again. The friggin things sheared before the nut was even close to tight. I figure I just got a crappy one. I've heard stories about things like this before. I can't wait to get it in though. I figure with a new water pump and hoses along with the radiator, (and a new heater valve, 'cause my old one crumbled when I removed the hoses) I should be good to go.

I had mine for about 4 months and it's GREAT.But i don't run straight water.You are asking for trouble anytime you use straight water.I got it from radiator.com $115.00.I was going to install it myself,but they said if i install it that the lifetime warranty would be void,so,they had an account with a local garage with a service agreement.They installed it for $80.00:mad: a little steep but i have a warranty with it.:) They said it was a Bear to install.NAXJA member#579.

I installed a GDI radiator in my Comanche last August and I've had no problems and have never run past 210 degrees, but then I also converted my closed system to an open system at the same time.

Erik
88 Comanche

$80 bucks huh, thats about 2 hours labor and if it included new coolant, hoses and burping is not that bad. I have not pulled mine in my 98 but it looks fairly straight forward, also helps that I have a 5 speed and don't have to deal with the automatic lines. I have backed out the bolts and anti seized them for the future though :D It is one of the things I do in my ongoing proactive maintenance endevors.

Have the original closed sys in my 89 and have owned it since new. I run a 195 tstat and it never gets above 210 and is usually about 200. But yes that darn plastic pressure bottle has been replaced a couple of times and the closed sys does make me a little nervous. Burping it is fun though!;)

Back