• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Upgrade question

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
i wanna get a nice sounding exhaust, ive heard some flowmasters and Borla and some sound good and some sound bad. what do you guys think is a nice deep sounding exhaust to get but not spending alot of money? and can you just got a muffler with new piping like you can on those hondas? and have it sounding good?

Lets all hope that sounding good is not used in the same sentence as those Honda's again. I also hope there is nobody wanting to make there jeep sound like some of the dinky cars out there with apple juice cans riveted on the end of their tailpipe. Leave it alone stock sounding will be better than any of those.

get rusty's flowmaster 40 series cat back. you won't regret it.

im not trying to make my jeep sound like a honda, i was just trying to explain something. my car before my jeep was actually a Civic, and i know good exhaust companys for tuner cars but wasnt sure on jeeps. so thank you dookie, for answering my question

I think that the flowmaster 40 is first, too loud and second sounds like crap on a 6 cyl.

I would go with the flowmaster delta flow 50 for a deeper richer tone that wont set off car alarms and have a bad drone effect in the cabin; you will still have the good sound your looking for and still be able to hear the tunes above the exhaust...

just my .02....

JC95

P.S.

go with 2.25in exhaust pipe and get the pipe changed from the exhaust all the way back, you wont regret it!

What about just having just a "new" exhaust put on by a local shop? I dont mean aftermarket flowmaster this or that, just stock/ factory exhaust, nice and quiet. No aftermarket "rumble" or "tone" or whatever.

how much should that run? 150 bucks?

L.R.

Yeah Highly recommend not buying the kits. Just pick out what muffler you want and put it in. If you want new pipes have a shop build them after you've made your suspension and skid modifications.
Average cost is 200 including labor and all parts.

Not all kits are bad IMHO. I went for the Dynomax Super Turbo cat back kit a few years ago...only set me back $125 and it sounds great to me. It's not much louder than stock, but it's much deeper sounding.

I'm running Banks headers, so the only part I need to get custom made is the down pipe to the cat(I've been meaning to since I put in the exhaust...)

Another vote for Dynomax Super Turbo. I needed a new cat because the inside shattered and my downpipe was all dented in (by rocks, not the factory dent). So I got a hi-flower cat and dynomax catback from Summitracing.com and a new downpipe. Found the easiest way to remove the old system was a sawzall. Its not super loud but it sounds and flows good.

as to the glasspack deal, you might as well run a straight pipe.

i don't know what the OHV laws are in your state, but it's a fairly hefty fine if you get caught off-highway here in WA without something that can be considered spark arresting.

jeepcherokee95 said:
I would go with the flowmaster delta flow 50 for a deeper richer tone that wont set off car alarms and have a bad drone effect in the cabin; you will still have the good sound your looking for and still be able to hear the tunes above the exhaust...
Ditto. p/n 942451

Jeep00xj said:
GO glass pack they are harder to drag off.....They also dont sound that bad....
x2 for sure here also.....mine was only 25.00. it has a deeper note over stock,but not too loud.The flowmaster welds look like a four year old welded it up......I was not impressed.

So I figure I have about 75.00 I can better spend on other mods.....

Last edited:
jeepcherokee95 said:
I think that the flowmaster 40 is first, too loud and second sounds like crap on a 6 cyl.

i respect your opinion, but it sure doesn't sound like crap on mine!! sounds perfect. get compliments on it all the time. deep and burly.

it might help that i have a hi-flow cat and 2.5" pipe all the way back after it.

if someone is worried about drone in the cabin, they must not have "real" tires... :)

I'm going to agree with nhrocker and bajacalal. I went with the Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-back system and it sounds good. It's not that much loader than stock, but alot lower in tone. I have a freind that had a Flowmaster 40 series on his and it sounded just like a Honda Civic with a coffee can. He heard mine and went out and bought the Dynomax Ultra Flow, that sounds good as well. The Ultra's seem to have the same tone as the Super's, just alittle louder. I personally like my Super Turbo the best. Good Luck!

Dookie said:
i respect your opinion, but it sure doesn't sound like crap on mine!! sounds perfect. get compliments on it all the time. deep and burly.

it might help that i have a hi-flow cat and 2.5" pipe all the way back after it.

if someone is worried about drone in the cabin, they must not have "real" tires... :)

I have the same setup (Flowmaster with 2.5" pipe). I think the 2.5" pipe makes a huge difference in the tone. My neighbor has the same flowmaster as mine with a stock pipe on his XJ. He asked me the other day why mine sounded so much better than his. It's the bigger pipe man!

I third the dynomax.... just put it on sunday morning along with a new replacement cat. it is pretty quite at highway speeds, nice sound on accel and mid-rpm / just before up shift. Funny thing is it mellows and quiets some when it warms up. doesnt seem to give any power increase yet. we'll see after alittle break in.

had the same system on my 89 2.9 v-6 ranger..... nice, but I couldnt hear it on that due to it being all under the box.

Back