• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper material 2x5 or 2x6

I would go with the 2x6

wish I kept pix of One Ton Sean's old Tomken bumper/rear tire carrier arm upgraded pivot... it used big tube... 2.5"? with bronze bushings. The pivot bracket bolted to the bumper with IIRC 6 or 8 bolts. The guy I sold it to sold his XJ, but he might have or be able to get close up pix of it

<edit> 4 big bolts on the pivot bracket. I'll be getting some close-up pix in the next couple days.

I made mine on my TJ using a "hinge" fron 4x4rockshop. It was about $40 and was made from a axle stub, with BEARINGS, not bushings, much better IMHO. ;)

I use 2X2 box for everything. 1/4" thick walled for the piece across the bottom and 1/8" for the remainder. Then I bought a receiver extention for the top and now my spare can be completely removed, leveing a 2" receiver for a trail rack, bicycle rack ect.

here is a pic:

TOPVIEW.jpg

Swingout.jpg

BUILTINADJUSTMENT.jpg

QTRVIEW.jpg

Goodluck,
CW

Back