• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gear

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
would not putting the speedo gear in the right way after an SYE install cause the speedo to not work at all. I think i got the tooth count messed up so it went in the worng way. BUt i was thinking if it went in the wrong way it should just bee off some, but still work. What is the stock tooth count by the way. Thanks

scott

Don't know if all years are the same, but on a '92 and earlier XJ NP231 the speedo gear housing is an eccentric. As you rotate the whole assembly, the gear will either get closer or farther away from the transfer case shaft. So, yes, it's easy to install incorrectly such that the speedo does not operate. The housing has marks indicating ranges that include each possible speedo gear option. Your FSM will give you the procedure for correctly installing the gear.

You didn't mention your year, but yes, you have to rotate the housing properly to get it to read correctly.

speedo_out.jpg

That is what I needed for the 40-tooth I'm currently running. Yours may vary.

mine is a 92 with the NP231, 4.0, 5spd tranny. See woldnt my speedo just be off if i didnt have it aligned righ, because right now it is not working period. Thanks for the replies

The '92 has a cable attached where Yucca-Man shows an electronic pick-up; otherwise, it's the same. If you don't have the indexing correct for the speedo gear installed, your speedo will not work because the gears are not meshed with the output shaft of the transfer case. Rotate the speedo housing until you get contact.

It doesn't matter whether you have a mechanical pickup or electric - if the housing isn't clocked right in the first place you won't get the speedometer gear to rotate and it won't register anything...

Back