• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Practicality of Full Width?

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
I run mostly trails in Colorado and California being that I live in Colorado, but am a College student in California. Right now I am running a fullwidth 9" rear, and a D30 front with spacers to match (until I can build a new front axle), on about 8" of lift. Future plans are 38's...My question is, is full width really all that practical for those who wheel? I have thought about getting a new housing for the rear, and running a narrower rear, and taking the spacers of the D30. In Colorado it just seems to be more of a pain with full width, and the general opinion out here seems to be fullwidth is not ideal? I was just wanting some input from those out there. Where you wheel what seems more practical for the trails, fullwidth or stockish width? If I could get some input it would be nice as it would help determine alot of things to come on the rig.

From what i hear (It very well may be wrong)

1) FW axle tend to be more stable on road with larger tires

2) They look awesome!!! :)

3) To find a D44 for an XJ is "a little" bit more difficult than to find an FS sitting in D44's rear AND front.

But like i said i could be wrong

If you're planning on 38's, you'll have to scrap the front end anyway, so that may help you in determining what you want to do in the rear. Is this a trail dedicated rig, or a drive to the trail and home rig, or a daily driver rig?

Full width, from a financial standpoint, is much more practical. Just find a donor truck and swap the drivetrain and steering linkages (more or less).

From a wheeling standpoint, I don't think that full-width is practical. What I can go around, full-widths have to try to drive over. I have yet to be on the trail when a full-width axled rig hasn't run over some kind of vegetation trying to let someone coming the opposite direction pass.

If you search, there is something to be said for the amount of people who have taken the time and expense to narrow axles.

For every squeeze that is tight for full widths, I can show you an off camber spot that FW really helps. It all depends on the trail. If need be you can modify the backspacing to help the width. How many guys run rims that space the tires out anyway? I think it boils down more to the driver than it does to the equipment.

BrettM said:
backspacing does a LOT for width. fullwidths with H2 wheels would still be fairly narrow.

But you also have to consider wheeling with non-movable curb feelers, aka HUBS.

Personally, I have wheeled nothin but near stock width. 90% of who I wheel with are near stock width. The few I know that are full width have one helluva time trying to keep up with the rest of us. Personally, the expense on narrowing is one of the best things I feel you can do. Then you can run a spaced OUT rim and TUCK those hubs way in.

Hope that help a little,
Matt

The ONLY reason I see to go full width is when you want to go with big tires. Bigger than 40s. 40s on stock width is perfect with proper backspacing.

This is to wide. Full width and 44s.
p418-1120369425.jpg

Another exaple of not so extreme, but to wide. Those are full width 9" and 44 combo with 4.5" backspacing. STILL TO WIDE! Had to rub trees to often.
wide8tb.jpg

old_man said:
For every squeeze that is tight for full widths, I can show you an off camber spot that FW really helps. It all depends on the trail. If need be you can modify the backspacing to help the width. How many guys run rims that space the tires out anyway? I think it boils down more to the driver than it does to the equipment.
very true

where i wheel plenty of full size rigs squeeze through as well so clearance isnt usually an issue. i would rather have the added off camber stability, than being able to squeeze through a bit better. especially w/8" of lift

im 3" wider w/ my 44's now, 5" wider axles, 1" more back spacing, but im also getting a much narrower tire than i have now once i get the heep moving

I'm running 65"WMS diffs in my XJ, D44 and D60. I like it much better than the stock width. Much better off camber, straddling ruts, hill climbing, etc. Haven't found it to hold me back yet. Have rubbed the sidewalls on some trees but nothing serious. I love how much more stable it feels. Even on the highway at 7" of lift it feels more stable than when I was at 4.5".

Don't think I would go any wider though. Don't see any benifit and I'm already rubbing in places.

Back