• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

While I'm in here....

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, :wave:
Getting the ol' girl going after almost 2 years. One of my jobs will be to remove and clean the valve cover. I noticed after I got it running a bit of a tick/click noise. I figure it is likely the lifters, but really don't know. I just wondered what I should look for or do upon removal of the cover.
Suggestions?
Hope you all are doing well and wheeling more than me! [None!]

Todd

Two years? Lifters are probably pumped down.

After you change the valve cover and change the oil, add a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil and that should help the lifters pump up.

If that doesn't work, it takes a lot more than pulling the valve cover to change lifters - the head needs to come off!

5-90

Hey 5-90,
Thanks for the quick reply. Before I started it I poured ~1 oz Mystery Oil into each plug hole. After it started I poured the remainder in the crankcase. It really seems to be running fine, just a bit more noise than I remember.
T

You can do that on the 2.5L but the hole is a bit small on the early 4.0L heads, can't say about the later heads.

Personally, since it it running, I would give the lifters a bit of time to see if they clean up. I would change the oil/filter and put in 4 quarts of regular oil and a quart of ATF. Run it for a few days and then change the oil/filter and run regular oil. ATF is extremely high in detergents and will clean out any sludge.

I had a 73 Chevy van that had a pin hole in the tranny vacuum modulator. I used a quart of tranny fluid for every three tanks of gas. Unlike other leaded engines, after 240K miles there was absolutely no sludge buildup or carbon buildup on the pistons or valves.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I had read a bit about using ATF in some of my searching and it sounds like a great idea.

I plan on following your suggestion old_man, but I am going to have to wait a bit before I get the chance to drive it around with the ATF. The front end is all torn apart at the moment, (ARB bearings, axle shafts, seals, hubs, ball joints, steering, brakes, :banghead: )

Hmmm, speaking of brakes.....
I am replacing the calipers and wondered about lube for the sleeves. Anyone care to share thoughts on this tangent subject? :laugh3:

Todd, in cold/damp/notsogreatunderthexj/ Vermont.

"Quick edit re the brake lube question; I did find quite a few ideas here, (20 replies!) http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63048&highlight=brake+grease"

Last edited:
Back