• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax 15 ?

Fenris

NAXJA Forum User
Search turned up little info, so I ask the knowers of all things XJ.

'97 XJ with AX-15, 76,000 miles, MORE engine mounts, Poly tranny mount. Had a clutch shop install a new sachs clutch 800 miles ago.
Problem. After a near flop, spending about 2 minutes way off camber, my tranny would not go into first. Now when the jeep is at temp it will not go into first, when its cold it goes in fine. I have to shut it off sometimes just to engage first gear. Took it back to the clutch shop and they think its the tranny shift rails, of course.
Any ideas

Interesting, to say the least. When you say it won't go into first when at temp--will it go into second, or reverse? And what's your definition of not going into gear? Grinding teeth, or feels like mechanical block?
With the rear wheels of the ground(engine OFF), trans in gear, clutch pedal to the floor, can some one turn the drive shaft? If yes, this would indicate the clutch is working.

It feels like the clutch is good. Shifts good in all gears but first. After it warms up, when I come to a stop and try to engage first it feels like a mechanical block. No grinding, just won't go into first, I have to shut it off or start out in second. :dunno:

Sounds like syncros.

I bought my last AX-15 for $100. Check around. Otherwise you can do the syncro's your self if you have a good place to work.

Unless you're a serious rock crawler or pull heavy loads frequently, I'd forgo the NV4500. That's what I have. The amount of butchery to the tranny tunnel is extreme, requiring a lot of engineering and fab work to recover the lost strength in the XJ's uni body. I think the NV 3550 would be a nice upgrade from the AX15. Doesnt have the granny low like the NV4500, and the overdrive is not quite as good, but WAY easier to swap in.
For sure, your tranny probably needs internal attention. The AX15 is not a bad tranny, so if you have the tools and time, I'd say repair it yourself.

I think Fordyce and the Rubicon are to blame. Couldn't be my driving style. It's just odd that it all started at once, do to a near roll, could something have shifted or bound in the tranny?

AX-15 in my XJ has always been hard to put in 1st gear at a dead stop when at operating temp. Solution: put it in 1st geat just before you come to a dead stop. I've been driving that way for so long now it's become automatic.

otto said:
AX-15 in my XJ has always been hard to put in 1st gear at a dead stop when at operating temp. Solution: put it in 1st geat just before you come to a dead stop. I've been driving that way for so long now it's become automatic.

Yup, I plan on living with it for awhile. My tranny was gummy in first from the day it left the lot.

Back