• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making a tranny mount.

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone made their own tranny mount? I'm thinking of making one thats slightly thinner then the stock mount, anyone messed around with this? Thinking of getting two round bushings to mount to the tranny(AW4), anything I should watch?

pic of what I'm thinking. Two bolts attached to the crossmember/skid. Outer steel sleeve to control bushing movement.

tranny_mount2.jpg

Not trying to be an ass, but, why? In almost 10 years and over 200K miles i've destroyed one. And that was from running with bad motor mounts for too long.

Dingo

cause I don't like the stock one? Mines shot and needs to be replaced. I building a new skid/crossmember at the same time. So rather then trying to incorperate the replacement Napa, which isn't ideal with the bolt head coming out of the bottom of the mount. It also is pretty thick, which means the tranny has to go up or the skid has to come down. I'd rather keep it where it's at, or lower it a bit without dropping the crossmember. I'm not set on this, just kicking ideas around as I'm gonna start building in the next couple of weeks.

Weasel said:
cause I don't like the stock one?

Makes sense.

Weasel said:
Mines shot and needs to be replaced. I building a new skid/crossmember at the same time. So rather then trying to incorperate the replacement Napa, which isn't ideal with the bolt head coming out of the bottom of the mount. It also is pretty thick, which means the tranny has to go up or the skid has to come down. I'd rather keep it where it's at, or lower it a bit without dropping the crossmember. I'm not set on this, just kicking ideas around as I'm gonna start building in the next couple of weeks.

Is the Napa part your using a stock XJ replacement? Because i don't remember anybolt heads sticking straight down. 4 studs yes. which brings me to my other Q. How to you plan on bolting this to your crossmember and to the transmission?

I'm just having a hard time visualizing your drawing and how it's going to work.

Dingo

Take a look at what I did,same dimensions as a stocker with a 3/4" drop built in.Its completely sealed with sleeves for the trans mount.
crossmember pics
17520009.jpg

RCP,
so do you have some sort of rubber bushing between the transmission and the mount?

ZPD said:
RCP,
so do you have some sort of rubber bushing between the transmission and the mount?
I use the stock trans mount.

Dingo509 said:
Because i don't remember anybolt heads sticking straight down. 4 studs yes. which brings me to my other Q. How to you plan on bolting this to your crossmember and to the transmission?

I'm just having a hard time visualizing your drawing and how it's going to work.

Dingo

Ok the "plate" is the skid I'm building, I just didn't draw the whole thing out. The two studs pictured are welded to the plate and go straight up and bolt directly to the transmission. The only catch I just thought of is the bushing are going to have to be stiff enough that they don't compress all the way down to the outer sleeves or it will be the same as solidly mounting it.

Here's the stock mount, I just dropping out the four studs.
622625.jpg

Last edited:
Weasel said:
Ok the "plate" is the skid I'm building, I just didn't draw the whole thing out. The two studs pictured are welded to the plate and go straight up and bolt directly to the transmission. The only catch I just thought of is the bushing are going to have to be stiff enough that they don't compress all the way down to the outer sleeves or it will be the same as solidly mounting it.

Here's the stock mount, I just dropping out the four studs.
622625.jpg
I don't think it would be a good idea to have the same bolt connect to the cross member and the tranny even if you use a bushing. you should have a a bolt connect to a peice of rubber or poly and then an seperate bolt that is inside of the rubber/poly connect to the tranny that way you do not have a direct metal to metal contact.

Back