• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TrakLok

Don't know if this would work, but you might want to put your axle on jackstands and spin your tires. if they both turn the same direction, you're locked? correct me, i'm probably wrong

put the ass end of your jeep in the air and put your tranny on nutral and spin 1 wheel if the other wheel spins in the same direction it has trac lok if it spinns in the opisite or barely spinns at all it an open diff.

Depending upon how old your wifes XJ is.... There may be a color paper tag wrapped around the axle tube identifying the differential type (D35), gear ratio (3.55) and open or tracloc.

You can also locate this same information in code on a metal tag held on with one of the differential cover bolts or locate the build tag listing vin #, color code, axle & gear ratio codes, etc....

Lifting the rear end up in the air trying to get both tires to turn is not a definitive way to identify the tracloc since yours may or may not be functioning properly.

Last resort is while changing out the differential gear lube, you can look inside the carrier for stacked clutch plates under the side gears for each axle.

CharlesS.

Dude I just found a sticker that was placed on the bottom of my '92 XJ's glovebox yesterday saying "This vehicle is equiped with a locking rear diff...." Apparently mine has the factory locker? That could be were your answer is, Try there?

Last edited:
Back