• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monroe Shock Part Numbers - Please Help!

Tally_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, forgive me for asking this, but, I have searched for the past two nights for a particular thread (that may not exist) with the info I need. I am hoping someone has already done this and has the part numbers handy. I am not asking anyone to look at a chart for me.

I work six days a week, 12 to 13 hours a day and I really can't find much time or energy to do the proper flex and measure, get max length and compression, then convert numbers on shock mount types, and find a good fit on a Monroe Sensatrac shock for my XJ.

What I have:
1989 XJ with 6" lift. My static measurement between rear shock eye to eye is 20" with vehicle at rest on flat surface.

I have the rear upper shock mounts modified to eliminate the bar pins so stock upper shock mounts wont work.

Front shock mounts are still stock.

I need the part numbers for the Monroe Sensatrac shocks that would fit on the rear and not bottom out.

If anyone has these numbers, I thank you in advance for the info!

Well, since no one had any suggestions, I tried my best to do some research in the Monroe catalog today.

Here is what I came up with:

For front XJ application using stock upper and lower mounts, you need a shock with an "SS" (stem stud) upper mount designation and an "XP4" (cross pin) lower mount designation.

I was unable to find a shock application that met all the criteria for compression and extension with both correct mount styles.

For the front:
What I got was the Monroe Gas-Matic LT shock #59504 with the "S" upper mount and "LS" lower mount (eye loop with steel bushing). The dimensions were a fraction over 16" compressed length and just over 25" max extended length with 11" total travel. These shocks also have the upper tube sleeve to protect the piston shaft. I have just installed them tonight so I have not tested them yet. I will tomorrow.
I had to press out the steel bushing in the lower mount and insert the bar pin from my stock shocks so that they fit the lower XJ mount. Wasnt hard to do.

For the rear:
I got the Monroe Gas-Matic LT shock # 59003. If I remember correctly they have just over 14" compressed length and just over 23" extended length with 7.25" travel. Again, I had to install the steel bushing (provided in the box) into the upper loop mount bushing. The lower bushings were the correct fit.

Last edited:
At 5" of lift, I am using generic Gabriel LT shocks in the rear with a JKS BPE. They are listed for a Toyota T100 4x4 rear and measure 24.875 extended, 15.125 compressed with 9.75 travel.

Back