• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daystar BB issues....

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm trying to put in my BB tonight, but for some reason one of the stock rear shackles wont come off. The bolt is like try to pull the sleve through the mount with it. And I dont know what to do, I jack the truck up and down and up and down, tire on, tire off, shock on, shock off, everything, and it wont come out. Its out about an inch and now its just spinning and I cant for the life of me pry it out.

Any suggestions? no torch and no cutting, I'm working alone and I need this done by the morning so I can go wheelin', rough night ahead

Lube it up good.
If you can, tighten the bolt in then out and keep working it.
Maybe it's too rusty on the thread end and is now slightly larger than the sleeve.

Okie Terry said:
Maybe it's too rusty on the thread end and is now slightly larger than the sleeve.

Might need a 4 Wheel Parts Installation Tool for that.

sawzall-smiley.gif

I tried the sawzall but the sleve was hard as a rock

So after molesting the bracket for over roughly 2 hours,a got the sleve back into the bushing, and dropped the leaf.

And wow, I learned a few good lessons.
1. Spring compressors, although not neccesary,would have helped, but the pry up the spring with a pipe and kick it method worked.
2. Have help, wrenching alone sucks, fortunatly I had one good friend come to my rescue
3. Wear gloves, blisters suck
4. Find something good to run over when you done, a few ditches at 3:30AM werent sufficient enough

zfinger said:
I tried the sawzall but the sleve was hard as a rock
Try using those Milwaukee brand blades called Torch. Their normal ones are pretty decent too. When I used them, either one cut through those 14mm bolts easily, especially since you can use the rear bumper for leverage to push the blade against the bolt.

Thayer said:
Try using those Milwaukee brand blades called Torch. Their normal ones are pretty decent too. When I used them, either one cut through those 14mm bolts easily, especially since you can use the rear bumper for leverage to push the blade against the bolt.

Yeah, and use cutting oil. :wierd:

And lesson 5: Wash the jeep first, giant blobs of dirt in my hir/eyes/mouth/nose wasnt fun

I just got back from a good run in the rain with my new BFG AT 30's. Didnt get stuck once, although I did have to pull a friend in a stock XJ out. I have new tires in the front and old worn out ones in the rear, lol.

So the lift and tires look great, not huge, but better then stock, gives it a nice stance, so I'm content for now. Pics and before/after measurments to come

Yea, you'll be content with 30s for about 2 weeks or until you see a Jeep with BB + 3" and you'll start drooling. I did the same thing, until I realized the BB only lifted my Jeep about 1" - so I added a 3" to it. Don't buy Superlift, they suck.
Those damn bushing sleeves freeze solid to the bolt. If you look close you can see that the sleeve isn't competely solid, it has a crease down the side. If you pound a screwdriver in there really good you can seperate the sleeve a bit and this helps free it, and also allow some PB Blaster to get inside there. One of my bolts actually PULLED all the way through the sheet metal, I just kept cranking not realizing what was happening. It sucked, but it worked out and now it's fine.

Last edited:
zfinger said:
And lesson 5: Wash the jeep first, giant blobs of dirt in my hir/eyes/mouth/nose wasnt fun

I just got back from a good run in the rain with my new BFG AT 30's. Didnt get stuck once, although I did have to pull a friend in a stock XJ out. I have new tires in the front and old worn out ones in the rear, lol.

So the lift and tires look great, not huge, but better then stock, gives it a nice stance, so I'm content for now. Pics and before/after measurments to come

Pix please, this is the setup Im thinking of going with...

Thanx,
Andrew

Back