• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carrier & Pinion bearings

Matt99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I believe that the bearings in my D44 are going bad. I get a horrible vibration/droning noise from the rear at 60+mph and it gets worse the faster I go.

My questions are

1. When I pull the cover how do I check the carrier bearings? Will the carrier actually move a little?

2. Can i change the bearings myself and not screw up the gear setup?

You can change apoo your bearings yourself as long as you keep all the shims exactly the same.

Here's the problem: if the bearings are pretty bad, you may have damaged the ring and pinion beyond repair.

Are you sure it's not a driveline vibe?

CRASH

I am sure it isn't driveline. I put new U-joints all around. Had both shafts balance and the pinion angles are just right.

I am going to pull the cover this weekend so i will see how bad it is.

It is most likely the pinion bearings, then. When you drain the fluid, look for fine metallic sparklies in it, sure sign of bearing issues.

You'll need a good bearing seperator and a 20 ton press to get the lower pinion bearing off. TAKE CAREFUL NOTE OF SHIM POSITION AND SIZE.

Post pics or results of what you find.

P.S. Did you check the yoke on the 44? Is it nice and tight? Any play?

CRASH

I check the yolk it is tight.

So you are saying that it is the inner pinion bearing, the one that is pressed onto the pinion? There are 2 correct?

I am going to pull the cover this weekend and check it out. I will post back with what i find.

Thanks for the help Crash

Yes, to get the bearing down by the pinion off will require the aforementioned items. That is likely the one that has gone south.

When you pull the pinion out, check to make sure that the race on that lower bearing is not spinning in the case. I've got a Dana 60 I'm building for a guy right now that has this problem. Those races need to be a tight fit in the case.

Also, if you have the time, take a pattern of the ring and pinion. The best stuff to use is gearmarking compound, but a hunk of lipstick mixed with a bit of gear oil works like a champ in a pinch (not much oil, like a couple of drops.) Take a pattern on the drive and coast side, snap a closeup pic of the pattern and post her up in a new thread.

CRASH

Back