• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocating trac bar

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been thinking about centering my axel. I have heard that I can drill a new hole to remount the trac bar, have talked to a few people that said that they ran like this for a long time with no problems. Others say that it is the wrong thing to do, that drilling will weeken the mount. Right now I am at 3' I plan on going to 6 or 8 but that will be much futher down the line. For time being will I be ok drilling or should I suck it up and buy a adjustable trac bar???

i drilled a new hole and have had no probs yet, but in retrospect does not seem like a good idea. if I would do it again I would go with adj track bar or even trac bar relocation bracket, I saw them on e-bay.

I did it back in 2000 and ran for ages with no problems. No bending, warping, breakage or anything. I say go ahead and do it. Its not as ideal as getting an adjustable track bar, but it does the trick...

You can do it for a 3" lift with no problems. Any higher and you start to run out of mount to drill.

I drilled mine about .5" towards the driver's side to center the axle with 3" springs.

I did the same but I driller mine about 3/4" up and over away from the factory hole. Just make sure you tighten the bolt real tight. Guess mine was too loose I assumed the play in the steering was from having bigger tires but I had my buddy turn the wheel right to left while the truck was parked and the whole front of the Jeep would move at least an inch in each direction before the tires started to turn, oops!!

If you really plan to continue lifting yer Jeep, then suck up and get a good adjustable Track bar and HD mount. That way, you havnt butchered yer bottom mount, and you dont have to buy a Track bar and HD top mount later anyways. AND youll have the added benefit of not having to worry just where to drill the hole so yer axle will sit center, cause you only get ONE chance at that.

xjkid99 said:
I did the same but I driller mine about 3/4" up and over away from the factory hole. Just make sure you tighten the bolt real tight. Guess mine was too loose I assumed the play in the steering was from having bigger tires but I had my buddy turn the wheel right to left while the truck was parked and the whole front of the Jeep would move at least an inch in each direction before the tires started to turn, oops!!

That is ussually a problem, the bolt tends to loosen up. Use lock-tite and stay away from a drop bracket, just adds another bolt to lossen up!

Save your money and by a H.D track bar and frame mount when you lift it the rest of the way.

Back