• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying another XJ. Need suggestions

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
I am looking at two XJs this weekend for my girlfriend to purchase and drive. I have a 96 sport currently, but need to see what advice you guys have on the two i am looking at. Here are the details

2000 sport 64k with new front brakes and rotors last month asking 9500, but I plan to offer 7500 cash

2001 sport with only 28k and showroom condition. All receipts from dealer service including the 30k service two months ago. Asking price is 11,900 which is high, but I would think I could get them down a grand.

Any thought? I am leaning towards the 00 just because it is less cash to spend for her. Most of the 00-01's that I see here in NJ are selling for a pretty decent price close to what the KBB values are

Kinda depends on how much piece of mind is worth to you. I'd probably go for the 2000 too. Is the extra 35K less in miles worth the $2500?

It also depends on how well the 2000 was taken care of. I bought a 2000 Classic with 73K earlier this year from a used car dealer. Didn't know much of the history at all but it seemed like a good deal. When I got the title it turns out it was repossesed and came from Ill, in the rust belt. That's when I noticed a little rust on the underside of the door and other places underneath. It's got a few benign noises (weird resonance from tailpipe, rattling t-case linkage, clicking and thumping from loose caliper on front passenger side) that have popped up since I've bought it but no real problems yet. ...oh, front speakers didn't work because the wires were broken, make sure you check for that too. Irritating stuff for a newer vehicle but at least they are little things.

Still, that piece of mind might be worth something since I tend to obsess over stuff like that. I replaced all of the fluids right after I bought it because I seriously doubt they were ever changed, except motor oil, by the previous owner.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
I'm in central NJ and just bought a '99. There seems to be a huge price jump between the '00 and '01. I saw '00's for around 6500, but the '01's were always above 9000. I paid 5500 for my '99 with 80k and now I've got some money left to build it up :)

looked at the 00 sport tonight and it seems good to go. the family that owns it dropped 2800 at the dealer in the summer on 850.00 60,000 mile service that included flushing and replacing every fluid in the jeep, even the power steering. Also they had the dealer do a full front brake job w/ rotors and the pinion seals on both axles, new steeting stabilizer for oh only 300 with labor...... I saw the damn bill and it was such a crime the way they got hosed at the dealer, but that is all good to the new owner........ If I can get them down to 8000 i'll pick it up

id go with the 99. i think thats the best yr for any xj. if im right the 2000, 2001's have a weaker head that is prone to cracking. and the 99 has somewhere around 15 horse power more just due to the intake man.

Back