• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When to get a new Steering Stablizer?

Beachmonkey6 said:
Im gettin a RE 4.5" on my '90 with 32''s

When do you need to upgrade your steering stablizer? When you get a lift? or just when your old one breaks?
my uprgraded steering stabilizer was removing it...

Didn't swap mine for an aftermarket until 125,000 miles. The old one was not as firm as the new, but it didn't feel THAT bad. In other words, I think the stock ones from factory can probably go for a very long time. If you are having strange steering issues, then that would be one place to look. But if everything is fine, then save your money.

I bought my XJ used and had no idea the last time it had been replaced....but i went and did it anyways. Off-road i noticed a good amount less of deflection when hitting rocks and other bumps and it seems to steer better overall when on the road. If in doubt, just replace it...they are pretty inexpensive.

I had no idea mine was broken until I took it off and started compressing it with my hands. I discovered it acted nothing like a shock. You could get a stiffer aftermarket, but the side effect is stiff steering all around. I run none now and have a very light feel but I get all the feedback instantly from the road surface (sometimes bad).

Back