• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle not lined up

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My axle seams to be too far back and looks to be to far to the left. The track bar wont line up either. The coils also look to be pointed backwards. Will haveing someeone align it fix these problems?

As you lift a rig, the length of the track bar will force the axle to the drivers side. That is why they make adjustable track bars. Also as you lift a rig, the angle of the control arms increases and effectively moves the axle backwards at the new ride height. As you stuff the tire, it rotates up in an arc and the axle moves forward. This is one of the reasons that a lifted XJ can ride very harsh. This is corrected with either drop brackets, and using your stock control arms, or converting to a long arm setup.

yes it is lifted or in the process of being lifted to 4.5.

so this axle being further back is not a bad thing?
Then how do I get the axle to move ofer for the track bar to line up?

Then the rear sway bar is it needed? cause it seems to have been hitting the upper side of the fender wells.

Thanks for all your help

ECKSJAY said:
Is it bigger than a breadbox?

I guess that would depend on how big of a breadbox we're talking about.:laugh:

When you lift your Jeep, this happens. Some people just live with it, some spend the money and get an adjustable Trac bar $200 and get aftermarket upper and lower control arms that are longer or adjustable - there you have it. I just wheel the piss out of mine.

It did come with new lca and a track bar relocation bracket to re-align it up, but it doesn't match up to tha either. Any ideas how to move the axle over, cause at full flex I still can't get the coils to be completly loose to move it over.

Hook a come along to the axle and to the "frame" pull the axle into postion and connect the track bar.

kscherokee said:
yes it is lifted or in the process of being lifted to 4.5.

so this axle being further back is not a bad thing?
Depends on tire size, what sort of wheeling your do and how much fender trimming you want to do.

kscherokee said:
Then how do I get the axle to move ofer for the track bar to line up?
Parked on level ground, get a friend to sit in the jeep, start the motor and turn the steering wheel. Turning the steering wheel will move the whole jeep to the left or right. While you're laying under the front end, watching the TB and bolt hole, have your friend turn the wheel until it's all lined up, then shove the bolt in.

kscherokee said:
Then the rear sway bar is it needed? cause it seems to have been hitting the upper side of the fender wells.

Thanks for all your help
I doubt there's anybody on this board with a rear swaybar on their lifted xj.
You're welcome :wave:

can I move the car around to a different location in the garage with the track bar not hooked up or would it mess things up?

Then for the rear sway bar, I have done some searching, and it looks like most people take them off except those that pull with their jeep and I do. I sometimes have to pull heavy loads. So what is everyones opions. My reay bar was also hitting the top of my fender well and did some small damage on each sides.

Regarding your rear sway bar--I removed mine years ago while installing my first lift--never missed it, even when pulling a large trailer, which I do occasionally. I think the the stiffer rear springs and after-market shocks obviated the need for it.

My experience with the track bar was very frustrating the first time I did a lift (only 3"!)--I struggled with the come-a-long, etc, to re-align the lower bolt--finally succeeding.
Subsequent iterations of lifts have taught me that after all other suspension components are reinstalled, set the jeep on it's tires and check to see if the jeep is centered over the front tires. Then lift the track bar into position. If the hole is off by more than one diameter of the bolt, I would drill a new hole for correct alignment. If the holes overlap, I'd have some one turn the steering wheel left/right until the holes are lined up; Or, buy an adjustable track bar. I'm at 6" now, using a stock track bar with a relocated mount hole, along with a 3" track bar drop bracket. No noticeable bump steer, but do have binding when pass side tire extends. I'm going to solve (hehahaaa) all of my "little" suspension issues when I build my new D44 front axle assembly.

They don't lign up. I have put the track bar relocation bracket on and still are off by a few inches. Can I drive it to my friends shop or at least move the vehical to a differnt location so I can hook a come along up do it? Without damaging anything?

kscherokee said:
They don't lign up. I have put the track bar relocation bracket on and still are off by a few inches. Can I drive it to my friends shop or at least move the vehical to a differnt location so I can hook a come along up do it? Without damaging anything?
I wouldn't drive it. You can redrill the hole on the axle end to accommodate the distance the trac bar has moved due to the lift. Otherwise, find someone you can borrow the scratch from to buy an adjustable trac bar...

I second yanking the rear sway bar, stock Up-Country models came from the factory with a tow package and no rear sway bar...

HERE IS A PICTURE
traction%20bar.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try turning the steering wheel (with car resting on its tires)? With the trackbar disconnected, my xj body shifts a good 2 or so inches left and right, when I turn the wheel lock to lock. With the help of a friend to turn the wheel, you should easily be able to connect the trackbar.

jonboy said:
Did you try turning the steering wheel (with car resting on its tires)? With the trackbar disconnected, my xj body shifts a good 2 or so inches left and right, when I turn the wheel lock to lock. With the help of a friend to turn the wheel, you should easily be able to connect the trackbar.
I second that, its how I got mine into place.

BTW, thanks for the resize, its much better...
:wave:

Back