• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to look for in a 231

Fudd

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm at Crozet VA last weekend, pumped about climbing some rocks in my XJ which I haven't done in forever. Start to climb the first obstacle, I hear this Clack clack clack (metal on metal) then Vroom, engine revs and I slide back down. Neither driveshaft turns in 4wd but it does fine in 2, So its something to do w/ the frontdriveshaft side or the chain in the 231 tcase I figure. I have to crack it open to get the 23 spline input shaft for my spare 21 spline case anyway. Anything I should look for while its apart?

Fudd said:
So I'm at Crozet VA last weekend, pumped about climbing some rocks in my XJ which I haven't done in forever. Start to climb the first obstacle, I hear this Clack clack clack (metal on metal) then Vroom, engine revs and I slide back down. Neither driveshaft turns in 4wd but it does fine in 2, So its something to do w/ the frontdriveshaft side or the chain in the 231 tcase I figure. I have to crack it open to get the 23 spline input shaft for my spare 21 spline case anyway. Anything I should look for while its apart?

IMO
2 things

A
your T case chain is streched out
they sell Heavy Duty ones but I like OEM myself
do you have a extra chain to meaure against??

I have a spare one I could measure for ya if neccesary
PM if ya need me to shoot ya a pic with tape measure next to it

B
your linkage is out of adjustment

Kinda the same thing going on here. The following is what I was going to post, untill I saw basically the same question asked.

JEONLYEP said:
Who knows the 231 around these parts?

Mine is acting up. As some of you may have seen this. One week ago, I was having trouble with my t-case not coming out of 2 wheel. Checked the linkage and the fluid level, both were okay. I messed around and pulled a bit harder than normal and it went into 4 wheel for me, then seemed to start working okay again. (not having to pull any harder than normal) This last week end I drove it to Oklahoma and back while there I did have it in four high for a couple of miles on a very muddy and slick dirt road, and all seemed good with it. The round trip was in the area of 800 miles.

Today I took it down to the river trail here in Cimarron. When I went to put it into 4, it was hard to pull again, and once there it was popping. Like it wasn't all the way engaged, but since it did it in both 4 high and 4 low I'm thinking that the chain is jumping teeth.

Finally the questions.
Is it normally worth taking apart and rebuilding?
Or would it be best to find a used one?
What is the normal cost of a rebuild?
What is a good price for a used one?
Also, if I'm looking for a used one, what years and what Jeeps am I looking for? (mine is a 1991, 4.0 with an auto)

I know nothing about t-cases, never had one apart, or seen one apart. But that doesn't worry me, it appears to be time to learn.

Any suggestions as to what to do/check next?

Thanks
DAryl

My guess is that its the chain, because it shifted smoothly into positions, but just got noise no power. I've got a good 231 from behind an AW4 so I'm going to swap the input shafts if its anything serious. I've never opened up a 231 before but googling I found a site w/ a pretty good series of photos of one getting opened up. I"m gonna drop it tomorrow for the fun to start :/

Back