• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear End ?s

muddydirtyxj

NAXJA Forum User
MY 89 XJ LAREDO 4X4'S REAR END JUST GAVE OUT AND I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN JUST SWAP IT OUT WITH ANOTHER REAR END OFF OF SOMETING ELSE TO MAKE IT BETTER . IF ANYONE KNOW FILL ME IN

THANKS
DAN

Any XJ rear axle can be swapped in. Many people use Explorer 8.8" axles. There is some cutting and welding to adapt the mounts. A couple of companies offer kits to give you all the parts. Go to the Mod Tech forum and run a search.

Nothing I know of is a direct bolt in, except another XJ rear. There are however different XJ rears.. Not sure which one you have. It could be a D35, 8.25 or even a d44. There are other options that require a little modification like the Explorer 8.8. That could even give you rear disk if you get the right one. Just make sure the gear ratio matches the front, if yours is a 4x4.

Keith

ok... lets start with turning the caps loc off.... and then what year is your XJ? is it stick or auto? This will get us going towards determining your current axle ratio..
Of course you can take of the cover on the diff and count the teeth and do the division... or you can jack up the rear end, rotate the tires (mark a spot on the shaft and tires) and cout revolutions of one in relation to the other....

Kejtar

Back