• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto power window

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 XJ sport with power windows, when i use the auto down the window goes all the way down and starts clicking till i hit the button to stop it. what could be causing this?

Mine does the same thing.

I'd like it if somebody could please provide some insight into this and how to fix it (for a novice mechanical type of person who has issues with the opposable thumbs thing :eek: )

it's me, thats why no one will post back so we can fix our XJs, maybe i smell funny or my big ulgy head scares my children, i don't know, but with all super smart NAXJA people out there they know maybe they will tell you.:laugh2:

I have this same "auto down" feature on my GMC Safari van. (my wife mostly drives that). Anyhow the way it works on that car it will keep putting the window down until it pops the circuit breaker!

I know this because if I try to put the window back up within 2 minutes of that it wont go because the circuit breaker is still too hot. Funny how I got a recall notice from GM on that car for repair of a "possible fire hazard in the drivers door" gee I wonder why.

I've already had to replace a window motor because of that "feature" burning one up, thank God for u-pull yards, only cost me $10 plus some time.

What I've been doing to prevent it from staying down is pressing the window button up when it gets to where I want it and the auto feature is overridden, at least in my GMC it is, my XJ doesn't have the auto-down feature. May be worth a try in your Jeep. In my GMC the auto-down circuit is actually enclosed in the button assembly, looks like I'll be going to the stealership for a non auto down switch assembly.

HTH,

Mark

standard XJ, if there is such a thing

Newer XJs are known for the regulator going out, especially in the front windows. The regulator is the motor and cable assembly that lifts the window. Odds are you will need a new one. It's pretty common.

Last edited:
mine goes up and down ok just in auto down makes that noise at the bottom of travel, no noise up or down just at the bottom in auto. like going to far.

Yes it needs a motor/regulator assy. It's easy to do. All you need is a phillips screwdriver (door panel), a 1/4" ratchet, 3" extension, and a 10mm socket.

Back