• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blocks or shackles

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
ok 90 cherokee. rusty's 3" aal. 31" truxes. i dont drive much on the road except 1 mile to school and back and little earronds around town i wheel about once a week with my friends. If i need to go anywere far i take my parents car.

im looking to get another 1-1.5" in the back. i dont have a t case drop yet. but i get the slightest vibes at 25-27 mph. you have to try really hard to heard them. but if i get a t casedrop i might to a tapered block lift like rubicon express sells. but if i get shackles wouldnt that be rotating the pinion up the same way that a shim would? what should i get?

i spun up some spacer at school today so im set for the front.

Don't screw with blocks. As you already know, the shackle will help correct the drive line. The blocks will also increase axle wrap (shackle will too but not as much).

Personally, blocks look cheap.

if you get blocks, ONLY get steel blocks. DO NOT buy ANY aluminum blocks. you will regret it. and, you're on the right track - get tapered blocks. avoid using blocks AND shims, if you can. and yes, shackles will rotate your pinion angle up somewhat.

honestly, from my own experience, both are fine. you'll very shortly read threads about how "blocks suck" and "shackles will make you sag faster," but don't buy into it. i've run them both for years with no issues.

one item - blocks are WAY easier to install and cheaper!

i've never ONCE experienced axle wrap with my blocks. that i have on my jeep. now.

but, your results may vary... :)

Dookie said:
i've never ONCE experienced axle wrap with my blocks. that i have on my jeep. now.

but, your results may vary... :)

Axle wrap can be reduced by installing boomerang shackles backwards :laugh3:

I have ran a 5/8" block on my 01 XJ for almost a year no isues with axle wrap. I believe its not so much blocks that cause the axle wrap but it the amount of lift with the blocks. 1" blocks should be ok get much bigger is when you start getting wrap issues.

I've run a 1" block for a year now because I'm too cheap to get new rear leafs and mine are sagging too bad to clear my tires. I've never run into axle wrap, but I know people that have, I guess I"m lighter on the skinny pedal. Heed the advice about steel blocks. But keep in mind they're not invincible either, I split two of mine in half once. Not sure how it happened but I had a heart attack when i was rotating my tires one day and saw half a block holding the jeep up. What I"m trying to say is I wouldn't recommend them but they'll work in a pinch.

you'd have a hard time feelin the axle wrap with a 1" block, espically on just a 4.0 engine. These 4.0's have a good bit of torque, but usually not enough to twist the axle with just 1". its the guys runnin 4" and 5" blocks that are gettin the axle wrap. It's really whatever is easier to you, blocks will keep your ride the exact same, maybe a little stiffer if you don't buy new shocks with them, and shackles will give you a little bit better ride but are harder to install and more expensive. Just depends on whats important to you

cherokeekid said:

how does that make sense?

show me a picture of what you are talking about and prove to me that this works...

cherokeekid said:

apparently you're right!! hosmo... :kissyou:

I have an 89 with the 3" rusty's AAL. I have run blocks, shackles and now a 2" short AAL under this set up.

Here are my findings. Personally do not like blocks at all (just personal feelings) they made the jeep very soft in the rear end.

The shackles are FAR easier to put in and make a nice soft ride in the back (perhaps a little too soft if you carry loads or pull a trailer).

The 2" AAL is a little stiff, but ok for me. Much better if you tow or carry heavier loads.

If you use blocks do not forget to torque and re-tourque your u-bolts.

Michael

how could blocks POSSIBLY make your rear end "very soft?"

not flaming, just asking....

Dookie said:
how could blocks POSSIBLY make your rear end "very soft?"

not flaming, just asking....

Seat of the pants feel for me is it seems "softer" than with the shackles.

The spring rate will not change with the blocks but the weight transfers more due to the lift (to be honest I did not really ever think about it too much, just the way it felt on my truck). But I assume that this is why.

Any other thoughts by others? Comparisons?

Michael

i'll take your word for it. mine didn't feel different at all when i put my 1.5" blocks in.

Back