• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake shoe question

Biernuts

NAXJA Forum User
OK...
89 XJ (my first...)

I'm at work right and I need to go to Kragen today to pick up a TB gasket I've ordered (they never have ANY XJ parts stocked at my. I've decided that while I'm there I want to pick up some brake pads/shoes to do this weekend.

How do I know what size rear shoes to get?

It's a Dana 35 and the drum says min dia 10.06.

But do I get the 10 x 1 3/4 or 10 x 2 1/2 shoes? Is there anyway to know other than pulling the old ones?

The axle info is:

Tag info: 63003516
08 605323

Cover stamp : Dana
268 8
Rev. N
11/1/1987

Lower left housing stamp: 8307
Upper right housing stamp: 35C

Thanks guys....

you want 1.75 width.

the 2.5 is for dana 44 applications

also, while you're at it i would reccomend picking up self adjusters and the wheel cylinders. I recall that you said this jeep sat for an extended period. These parts are cheap and you wont have to deal with the hassle of tearing into the drum brake system more than necessary..

Thanks..

Good memory. You are correct about sitting...2.5 years.

Everything looks pretty bad...rust for days.
In fact I THOUGHT about replacing everything with new:
Front Hub Assy's, Rotors, calipers, hoses, Drums, Drum hardware, bearings, etc. I could do it all for about 1000.00. Not cheap but not terrible for peace of mind. But I decided to start cheap...get the rotors & drums checked to see if they can still be machined, clean & lube all the parts and see how that goes...

I've got it running great.
New exhaust manifold, cat, pipes & muffler, Injector O ring, fuel pump/filter, , O2 sensor, and a ton of other work.

It's on stands now waiting for a 3.5" that's on the way and new 31's.

Back