• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trying to buy new coils to go up 1.5"(#%@!*& wifey says buy spacers)

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I need a valid argument for buying a new set of coils instead of buying just a set of spacers

so let me have it

why are a new set of bigger coils better than just puttin on some spacers?

I have Rustys 4.5" coils now netting about 5"

so Im thinking RE ZJ 4.5" coils

Last edited:
what is wrong with spacers?

if you cant think of a valid reason - why not run them?

Im happy with my 1.75" spacers from RRO

look at it this way - maybe you can buy some ACOS instead of normal spacers - saying look hun - i bought the spacers...

VegasAnthony said:
I need a valid argument for buying a new set of coils instead of buying just a set of spacers

so let me have it

why are a new set of bigger coils better than just puttin on some spacers?

so Im thinking RE ZJ 4.5" coils

I think the first thing you should do is get your balls back from your wife. Then be a man and make a decision for yourself. :wave:

Or, you could just get the spacers and skip the divorce.

You wann do it "RIGHT"?
spacers wont fix weak springs.
confuse17.gif

If she will let you get new springs .... you'll give her some
la.gif
and some good
lets_do_it_wild.gif
or does she do this to you all the time? wife--->
nutkick.gif
<--- you

XJ_ranger said:
what is wrong with spacers?

spacers dont expand (flex) as well as coils
is what Im thinking but then again Im talkin only 1.5"
so the total extension on a extra 1.5" would be say 2.5"

basically Im thinking of the mechanics of the whole set up

wont a bigger ie longer spring extend and compress more than a spring with a spacer on it?

Last edited:
a longer spring is less stable than a shorter spring so it will be more prone to bow around when you compress it.

extension will depend a lot on spring rate... basically, how long the spring is unloaded vs loaded.

something to think about when adding spacers is the greater potential to over-compress the spring, which can/will fatigue it.

edit: personally I'd probably just go with spacers, mainly because they're only aboot $35, vs $160+ for coils.

Last edited:
I've got some extra spacers I can sell you.

Get the spacers and with the money you saved, get flowers for your wife with a nice card explaining that you made the decision yourself, but thanks for her input, no matter how wrong it is. How hardcore does your rig need to be...

Beej said:
How hardcore does your rig need to be...

you are not a real man.

Jeepin Jason said:
what's the difference?

there isn't one. this thread is dumb.

:hang:

the longer the spring, the more flex you have. if it's just on the street no big deal. new springs will help off-road mostly. can you buy a 1.5" lift spring? heck buy a real lift kit, 4.5"probably give you the most bang for the buck.

Jeepin Jason said:
... something to think about when adding spacers is the greater potential to over-compress the spring, which can/will fatigue it.
one of the benefits of coils springs over leafs is that you can't "over-compress" them. The spring will coil-bind before it bends enough to fatigue.

scott w said:
the longer the spring, the more flex you have. if it's just on the street no big deal. new springs will help off-road mostly. can you buy a 1.5" lift spring? heck buy a real lift kit, 4.5"probably give you the most bang for the buck.

Did you read the thread??

Longer springs do not necessarily mean more travel or more flex. You need to consider the spring rate as well.

In general taller springs have a larger spring rate (meaning it takes more force to compress or extend that spring).

Michael

scott w said:
heck buy a real lift kit, 4.5"probably give you the most bang for the buck.

From post #1

VegasAnthony said:

I don't tink that it makes that much difference. +4.5 springs with 1.5 spacers or +6 inches of coil, either way would only make a fraction of an inch difference on compression. Most likely your not using your springs as bump stops anyway.
As far as down travel goes, unless your using your springs as limiting straps, that doesn't make any difference either.
Although you could slip the coil and spacer sooner at full droop than with a taller spring. But is that a problem? Not likely.

.02 DAryl

Back