• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 needs to last a little longer

PNWXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I posted this before but I cant find it or something. Anyway the rear end is going out and I need it to last as long as possible. It is making a howling noise and has about 1/3 rotation of drive shaft play in it... Does anyone have any ideas on how to prolong its short life? Thicker gear lube? One of those *magic aditives* like Lucas oil? I just need it to last untill I can save enough for a D44 or 8.8 and set it up.

Thanks IA

Tim

have you checked your u joints in the rear shaft? you have hopefully already done it , but they can make a mean noise too and cause play in the driveline.

Front hub bearings are both new but rear might be the culprit. U joints are all good. The loud howling noise is only heard at very light throttle to coasting. Same as my inlaws chevy that had the R&P and new bearings installed which made noise stop.

Thanks

Tim

Does it have a trac lok? If yu don't have the right gear lube it will make a wierd groaning noise. It will work with almost locker like traction until it starts wearnig out, which doesn't take long. The additive for the limited slip lets the clutches slip a little easier. The rotation of the driveshaft isn't all that uncommon, it's just taking up the slack in the spider gears.

Dan

Ive got 4.10s and a detroit EZ locker. Everyone I have talked to said to just use regular gear lube with no additives. Is this correct?

Tim

Yeah, regular gear lube is okay for an EZ Locker.

1/3 or a rotation is WAAAY to much backlash. Sounds like your pinion bearing may be toast, and possibly the crush sleeve wasn't set up properly when the locker was installed. Backlash measured at the ring gear is on the order of 0.008", which at the pinion should translate into virtually no free rotational play. Something is amiss internally.

Thats what I thought the problem was. I just need this to last as long as possible. What do you think the life expectancy is for this?
One more thing, the splined part of the driveshaft is very stiff as in cant be moved in and out easily by hand. Could this have helped or caused the problem? And obviously I had the drive shaft out on one end to check this...I know you were going to question that..:D

Tim

WOW...I finally had the chance to pull the cover to change fluid and WOW there were only 2 ring gear bolts that were snug..all the others were only held on by 1 or 2 threads. Luckily they didnt come out completely...that would have been very bad! The 2 that remained in still took 5or 6 turns till they were tight. Hopefully that will stop the noises and there hopefully wasnt too much damage to the gears.

Tim

Yeah ... well, that would sure do it, yes indeed.

Yikes!

Well the noise is a little better but now there is a constant whine. Oh well. At least it didnt grenade or something on the freeway!

Tim

Back