• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wobble after bump

meaded

NAXJA Forum User
I Know this has been discussed many times. I have the wobble and have followed all advice, I wonder if this is a clue to anyone. When my jeep takes the fit I actually can feel the wobble through the gas pedal. I almost think a drive train mount but I have checked these.

I just realized this past weekend it doesn't take much to elicit a wobble that will make your life flash before you. My front end, so I thought, couldn't be more solid, with new rancho shocks, all new joints, poly bushings, stiff springs, only 1 inch of lift, and light weight wheels with stock size tires. No stabilizer, however, which really shouldn't be needed on a healthy front end. I hit a fairly minor bump and I thought the wheels were coming off, and it continued to get worse until I stopped. Replaced the warped brake rotors, and it has never felt more solid. Point is, something trivial is probably out of balance, like your wheels or rotors, or maybe you have a majorly bad joint (ball, tie rod, pitman arm, etc.) The first and easiest step is to rotate your tires straight back and front, and while it is jacked up, try to move the fronts for slop. You'll notice if there is front end slop, just pull and try to turn them and shake them.

well i had wobble issues. i replaced trac bars, hub bearings, stablizers, shocks, new rotors, all that good stuff. i was told to look at my control arm bushings, and if they had any dry rot, replace them. I did that and my front end is great now. just something to consider.

meaded said:
I Know this has been discussed many times. I have the wobble and have followed all advice, I wonder if this is a clue to anyone. When my jeep takes the fit I actually can feel the wobble through the gas pedal. I almost think a drive train mount but I have checked these.

Have you done a steering stabilizer? I was, uh, "shocked" at how much of a change a new one made on my 2000.....

Den

"No stabilizer on a healthy front end" presupposes certain kinds of initial design. I don't quite know what the requirements are, since I'm not an engineer; there are such front ends in existence, but the XJ's is not one of them, and even a healthy one will wobble without a stabilizer. If the engineers could have saved a few bucks by omitting it they would have.

Back