• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rip off in progress?

Farmer Dean

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 96 XJ 4.0, which is experiencing a loss of power over 2500 to 3000 RPM and above. The more you step on the gas, the worst it gets. If you let off the gas you can creep the speed up. Runs fine at low RPM but bogs anytime you punch it.
After reading other posts I was convinced it was a cat converter or maybe a sensor.
Took it in to a non-dealer. They said I needed a new filter and a fuel pump ($500 out the door). They said the fuel pressure was 49 PSI at idle and 10 PSI at speed. They still have my Jeep, but I haven't let them do anything but diagnos. I'll bring it home and work on it myself.
I just replaced the pump 6,000 miles ago. I realize the filter could plug anytime, but I'm suspicious that a pump would fail that fast.
I guess I could replace the filter first, then check to see if an internal hose is loose.
Where and how can I test my fuel pressure. What fittings, etc. are needed? Thanks, Dean.

the fuel filter on a 96 is an easy replace and cheap, I would do it. When I replaced the filter on 96 w/ 85k on it there was a lot of crap inside when I cut it open..

Yer on the right track.

I plugged up a filter in just 200 miles from taking on gas that must have been at the "bottom of the barrel"
replace the fuel filter (and your air filter while your at it) then take it for a drive. If that is the problem you'll notice the difference right away.

Interesting to note: my pump was starting to fail in September 5 years ago. At the same time I needed to dispose of some 2 cycle gas/oil mix from a boat I was putting up for the winter. So I just dumped the gas/oil mix in the Jeep. The pump stopped making noise and has worked well ever since.

john mitchell said:
Yer on the right track.

I plugged up a filter in just 200 miles from taking on gas that must have been at the "bottom of the barrel"
replace the fuel filter (and your air filter while your at it) then take it for a drive. If that is the problem you'll notice the difference right away.

Interesting to note: my pump was starting to fail in September 5 years ago. At the same time I needed to dispose of some 2 cycle gas/oil mix from a boat I was putting up for the winter. So I just dumped the gas/oil mix in the Jeep. The pump stopped making noise and has worked well ever since.
I had that same problem on my 90'. Replaced the fuel filter/plugs/wires and bam, good as new.

Did you use a factory or aftermarket pump? At our shop in Md, we have had so much trouble with aftermarket pumps we only install factory pumps now. I have had aftermarket pumps fail in a week!

My experience in replacing pumps on my xj is go only w. oem. My aftermarket pump ran ok but for some reason caused fuel starvation on hard turns w. around a 1/4 tank or less and then engine would die and not restart until pump internal circuit breaker cooled down and reset. We always had to keep 1/2 tank or more of fuel. Eventually I replaced the pump w. an oem. You can get the oem pump motor w/o getting all the other pieces. Get it online at an oem dealer at a discount. Greg

mattmankow said:
Did you use a factory or aftermarket pump? At our shop in Md, we have had so much trouble with aftermarket pumps we only install factory pumps now. I have had aftermarket pumps fail in a week!
Bosh makes the pump regardless if you buy it from a Dealer or parts store.

My aftermarket pump was not made by Bosch. It even was smaller in size. It obviously was used as a universal application for alot of cars. Greg

QUOTE=langer1]Bosh makes the pump regardless if you buy it from a Dealer or parts store.[/QUOTE]

Greg Smith said:
My aftermarket pump was not made by Bosch. It even was smaller in size. It obviously was used as a universal application for alot of cars. Greg

QUOTE=langer1]Bosh makes the pump regardless if you buy it from a Dealer or parts store.
[/QUOTE]
Autozone and Advanced carries both, OEM(Bosh) $128.00 or aftermarket $78.00.

2000 fuel filter is conveniently located with the pump in the tank.....I believe that stopped the inline filter in 96-97

I replaced the pump 6K ago with a factory pump. I called the auto shop and told them not to do anything. When I picked it up he said he took the fuel filter off and inspected/tapped it and it didn't appear to be too dirty so he reinstalled it. He said because of the low fuel pressure at high speed it must be the pump.
On the drive home it ran perfectly. I haven't re-checked the fuel pressure.
I haven't messed with it today, but I will put a new filter in it and try and check the pressure.
I think it's just a clogged filter, but the shop probably figures they can throw a pump in it and make some $. I'm not buying.
I was told you check the pressure at the 'fuel rail'. What and where is that? Thanks, Dean.

There was a one or two year production that had bad tanks, the plastic used in them was being broken down by the tanks plastic clogging the pump and overheating it. In these intank pumps fuel is used to cool the pump. Guy I worked with at lucent had his go, the local shop that did all his work replaced the pump and it went before he even got two miles down the road. This went on for a week or two till the mech decided to get a pump from the dealer. They quietly shipped him a new pump and a gas tank plus reimbused him for towing. Just happened to be a bad batch of plastic. If you drop the tank look for a coating of black tar like substance in the tank by rubbing your hand around the tank itself.

Back