• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake "anti-rattle clips"

rumblebelly

NAXJA Forum User
The front right caliper assembly seems a little looser than it should be on my 00 Classic. After the brakes warm up, they'll sometimes thump and click with every wheel rotation and can be felt through the brake pedal. I've had it inspected and no one seems be able to find any thing wrong.

A friend of mine mentioned something about "anti-rattle clips" solving the problem. Is there such a thing or is he full of it?

Many disc brakes have little spring clips that hold the shoes against the support rail. The early XJ's have them. Do they make them for your brakes? I don't know. The early ones might work. They tend to be an OEM item, not aftermarket.

This is odd: Autozone says they have disc brake hardware kits for the 2000 XJ but CarQuest says there is nothing available. Also a mechanic I talked to about my problem said there isn't anything such as an "anti-rattle clip" to replace on a 2000. I tend to trust CarQuest over Autozone...maybe I'll just buy the kit anyway and see what happens.

My '99 doesn't and didn't have them.
EDIT: I just cross-referenced my '94-'96 and '97-'99 parts manuals, and the anti-rattle clip is listed for all years. The difference is that starting in 1997, it's only listed as "Clip, Brake Caliper," whereas the '94-'96 parts manual reads "Clip, Anti-Rattle." I'm not sure on a 2000, but maybe it's there and just not listed as an "anti-rattle" clip. BTW, the part number, J 323 9865, is the same for all years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, Timber.

I picked up that disc hardware kit for a 00 xj and all that came with it was those rubber things that go over the caliper pins and an anti rattle clip (as described in the Haynes manual). For the life of me I can't figure out how this clip will fit on the 2000 caliper. The design of the later model caliper doesn't seem to be able to accomidate a clip. The Haynes manual is so general...I think it pictures a later model jeep and the way they have the clips pictured on the caliper...I can't see how they'd fit on my caliper. The pic in Haynes shows a couple of lips that the clip hooks onto, my caliper doesn't have those lips...unless I'm missing something.

The FSM doesn't even show an anti rattle clip. Looks like I'm outta luck.

Has any solved this problem? How due they go on?

I have replacement calipers from Napa and they came with anti rattle clips. I've never had them before on my 97 OEM stuff. I'm interested in using them because my brakes squeak a lot when cold. I'm thinking it's due to the pads vibrating, even though I have the red gunk on the back of the pads, and these clips might help.

Hi,

I just replaced the rotors and brake pads (front) on my 2000 XJ. As far as I know, there are no anti-rattle clips. There are clips but they are built into the pad itself. These built in clips firmly hold the pad against the caliper (and piston), so there should be no need for additional anti-rattle clips.

On the outter pad, there are two 'finger-like' spring tabs (clips) that hold the pad against the outter caliper housing. On the inner pad, there are three 'snap-clip' in the center of the pad (the pad plate, not the pad itself)...these slip (clip) inside the pistion housing.

Maybe these built-in clips/taps on your pads are worn and not holding the pads securely against the caliper/piston. Also, did you check your mounting bolts...make sure they are tight...

Back