• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Revolver Shackle Install Help

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
I'm in the middle of installing the Teraflex revolver shackles. They seem to be hitting the frame mount for the shackle. I have 4.5" RK leaf springs which have an eye-to-eye distance a few inches shorter than stock. Is this the reason why my revolver shackles are hitting the mount while others don't run into the same problem? Do I need to trim my mount? I remember seeing a picture of someone who trimmed their frame mount for the revolvers, but I can't seem to find it again.

revolver9ux.jpg

Last edited:
not quite sure what you mean by frame mount is it hitting the front or back or side of the hanger box. pics may help if you can

EDIT: just got the pic now slow connection i bay be wrong but are those things backwards

I think I have them on the right way. The shackle hits the frame mount where the arrow points and also exactly in the same spot on the other shackle arm.

revolver4ad.jpg

I can see how leaf springs with a larger eye-to-eye distance would lead to no interference with the mount, like on this install

http://jeepin.com/features/revolvers/index.asp

Just making sure if my logic makes sense and if I need to trim the mount.

I have these installed on mine as well, mine rest about 1/8" from the mount. give it a coule days you prings will probably relax a little pushing the bottom eye farther away.

I had the same problem!!!! But this is what I did and it worked, so take it for what you will hahaha.

K when I had everything bolted up as it looks you do I had to lift the back of the XJ up. I then SECURELY attached a tow strap to the springeye or Shackle. Loosened the bolt that runs thro the shackle and XJ frame/unibody. Make sure that this point the XJ is secure from the front and locked in 4 wheel drive to prevent the jeep from moving cause this is where it gets tricky. I attached the other end of the tow strap to a highlift jack, which was then connected to the front tow hook of a TJ. We backed the TJ up untill the strap was taunt. I then slowy cranked the the highlift and it pulled the shackle and spring into position. Once the shackle was sitting correctly I tighten the crap out of the shackle bolt you previously loosened, and SLOWLY relieved pressure backing the highlift off. Once the XJ was on the ground it sat perfectly. Repeat on the other side.

Now YES this sounds a little dangerous, but at 2 am we where trying everything to make this work and it did. There may be other ways to do this but this is how I did it. I am sure you can concock your own way but the principle is the same. JUST PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU TAKE THIS ROUTE. Here are a few pics I have from that night but there are many more in the album. It has been over 2 months and no issues thus far.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cco175ranger/detail?.dir=88e8&.dnm=655c.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cco175ranger/detail?.dir=88e8&.dnm=f739.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cco175ranger/detail?.dir=88e8&.dnm=6f0f.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cco175ranger/detail?.dir=88e8&.dnm=921c.jpg&.src=ph

thats ONE reason mine went in the trash, after a while that hanger mount will crack.

BRIANHO13 said:
I have these installed on mine as well, mine rest about 1/8" from the mount. give it a coule days you prings will probably relax a little pushing the bottom eye farther away.

I think you're right. When I put the full weight on the spring, they started to separate from the mount by about 1/8".

cco175ranger said:
I had the same problem!!!! But this is what I did and it worked, so take it for what you will hahaha.

K when I had everything bolted up as it looks you do I had to lift the back of the XJ up. I then SECURELY attached a tow strap to the springeye or Shackle. Loosened the bolt that runs thro the shackle and XJ frame/unibody. Make sure that this point the XJ is secure from the front and locked in 4 wheel drive to prevent the jeep from moving cause this is where it gets tricky. I attached the other end of the tow strap to a highlift jack, which was then connected to the front tow hook of a TJ. We backed the TJ up untill the strap was taunt. I then slowy cranked the the highlift and it pulled the shackle and spring into position. Once the shackle was sitting correctly I tighten the crap out of the shackle bolt you previously loosened, and SLOWLY relieved pressure backing the highlift off. Once the XJ was on the ground it sat perfectly. Repeat on the other side.

Now YES this sounds a little dangerous, but at 2 am we where trying everything to make this work and it did. There may be other ways to do this but this is how I did it. I am sure you can concock your own way but the principle is the same. JUST PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU TAKE THIS ROUTE. Here are a few pics I have from that night but there are many more in the album. It has been over 2 months and no issues thus far.

I thought about doing something similar, but I just decided to trim the mount. I only took off about 1/2" on the mount. It seems to clear, but I'll know for sure once I get everything back on and flex it out. I drilled some holes then cut, so my corners have a radius to help keep cracks from starting.

revolver29ep.jpg

Im not sure if this will work but take the shackle off of your old leaf pack and put it back in and mount the revolver shackle to it, this should give you enough clearance so your arent hitting anything. I have 5 inch lift springs in the back and a 1.5 inch lift shackle and i have my revolvers connected to the leaf lift shackle and have no problems with them hitting the mounts

I have 5 inch lift springs in the back and a 1.5 inch lift shackle and i have my revolvers connected to the leaf lift shackle and have no problems with them hitting the mounts

are you saying your have 2 shackles being used together? a lift shackle attached to the revolver shackle... wow.

if so, thats brutal, and not in a good way.

Im not sure if this will work but take the shackle off of your old leaf pack and put it back in and mount the revolver shackle to it, this should give you enough clearance so your arent hitting anything. I have 5 inch lift springs in the back and a 1.5 inch lift shackle and i have my revolvers connected to the leaf lift shackle and have no problems with them hitting the mounts

I believe what he's trying to say, is you sir may be a tard.

(but we hope not..) ;)

pics?

Not only did you bump an almost 4 year old thread, but your idea is one of the worst ideas ever.

I didnt know it was possible to make revolver shackles even worse. :wierd:

I agree, revolvers are terrible, I know I posted I had them but they only stayed on for about a month. I now run with my shackle relocated and it rides and flexs much better.

Back