• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Bumper or Reciever

Stouttrout

NAXJA Member #1282
I am sitting here is Houston Bored to death (Rita Refugee). I have started to re think how I want to use the XJ. Anyone have any pros or cons to a winch that mounts into the reciever? The reason I ask is I would really like to put a reciever hitch on the front of the bumper and use it for a small generator when we go camping. So...Pros? Cons?

They have recievers with winch mount, I think I saw them on quadratec catalog. seems like a good idea if you don't use the winch all the time and also you can move it from front to rear if you have both recievers.

I run a winch bumper and have wired power to both the front and rear. I like it. Many will complain about hauling out a winch in a bad spot. My issue is that my wife and I wheel alot alone on the mountain trails around here. To me the capability of having a winch that can pull backwards is a significant advantage. It all depends on what types of wheeling you are dealing with.

I guess it wold be just as strong and secured in a reciever? We do light to moderate trail. I just want to be sure the bumper can handle it in a reciever and that it will be secure and safe.

if the bumper can handle it is up to what bumper or setup you are using.i wouldn't go with anything less Rigidco's front reciever bumper.

My only complaint is that a receiver winch mount sits out so far in front of the XJ. It greatly reduces the approach angle. I finally ditched my in favor of a custom mount that moved the winch over top of the bumper and about one inch from the grill. It is sort of a "C' arrangement.

winch sits here
-------------
| bumper
|
----------
receiver

Using this arrangement only left about three inches of the winch hanging over the top of the bumper and gained me about ten inches of approach angle.

I even made an adapter for it to fit on my rear hitch and achieves what a regular winch mount would.

My front bumper is custom and is designed to handle the winch.

I was looking at the Rigidco bumper. I have a 9500lb Mile marker and a 9500lb ramsey. I was thinking of using the Milemarker since it is new and somewhat smaller in size.

Do you have a pick of of your "C" arrangement. I would definately lke to see it.

Stouttrout said:
I was looking at the Rigidco bumper. I have a 9500lb Mile marker and a 9500lb ramsey. I was thinking of using the Milemarker since it is new and somewhat smaller in size.

Do you have a pick of of your "C" arrangement. I would definately lke to see it.

I've got the mount on the workbench working on the winch, but yes, I could take a pic of it tonight. If I don't get it posted tonight, then definately in the AM.

Stouttrout said:
I am sitting here is Houston Bored to death (Rita Refugee). I have started to re think how I want to use the XJ. Anyone have any pros or cons to a winch that mounts into the reciever? The reason I ask is I would really like to put a reciever hitch on the front of the bumper and use it for a small generator when we go camping. So...Pros? Cons?

My thought with you putting a generator up there would greatly reduce the air flow to your radiators! I wouldn't recommend putting it up there. Throw it in the rear receiver!

I have a 200o watt honda it is not too big. We run a 3000 in front of my Ford and I never have had any probs. I need the rear for the offroad Teardrop. I mainly want the reciever up front to mount it so it is secured and quite. If I run into engine cooling issues I can run in it in the trailer. I have also found I use my Front hitch on my Jeep Scrambler alot more than I thought I would have.

Winchbumpers can kill approach. I have a c4x4 bumper, if you use a roller fairlead on it, it kills the approach, hawse style isn't too bad.

I HAVE A MILEMARKER 10.5k hydraulic on my F250 tow rig. I have the portable cradle. I love it. I have the rear hydro hook ups. I had the local napa make up 12' extension hoses and mounted a receiver to my trailer. Now I can winch cars onto the trailer instead of pushing them.
The cradles are way strong also. I had the truck and trailer with a Jeepster on it stuck at the bottom of a muddy hill. That setup pulled all three out without having to unhitch or take the Jeepster off the trailer.

Stouttrout said:

This is the side view. As you can see, there is just enough clearance to slip over top of the bumper and the receiver is 1/4 tube. The hole is actually for attaching the mount to the rear receiver as you would any other receiver attachment.
mini-40600009.jpg

That's 1/2" stock securing the top plate and bottom mount.

mini-406000010.jpg

The ears on either side of the winch plate allow pins to be dropped thru and thru the bumper. This allows distribution of not only straight pulls but lateral pulls. I've used double compound snatch blocks to pull a full size rig burried in mud up to his 44's. I had to anchor the back of the Jeep to keep from being pulled forward. The mount nor the bumper showed any worse for the wear.

You will notice that the fare lead is attached to the front rim of the mounting plate as well as the 1/2" inch stock. You can't see it, but there are four gussets along the inside of the plate rim to keep the rim from essentially, peeling down.
mini-40600007.jpg

This is the front view. My winch is an 8000 lb, but I got water logged last outing and the winch didn't appreciate being under water that long. Had to tear it apart to dry and lubricate.
mini-40600008.jpg

Using this allowed me to have a 5" deep bumper and keep the winch above the bumper. For the type of wheeling I do, this setup has worked wonderfully since last November and has seen it's fair share of use. Like you, I frequently go out alone, and have to have with me whatever it takes to get me back home.

That's an idea I am going to have to seriously look into.

Back