• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does a 4.0 need to run?

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Let's say for arguments sake I wanted to put a 4.0/Aw4/D300 into a vehicle that was not originally designed for this motor. What, in terms of electronics/sensors/computers/etc, is needed to make the 4.0 run properly. I would be running Brett's shifter conversion to make the AW4 completely manual, thereby eliminating the TCM. Also what years would be best for making this swap the simplest?

This is just one of a few hypotheticals I'm working on now, but it's definately a possibility depending on how hard the swap would be electrically speaking.

Thanks guys, and it's good to return to my roots of sorts(first time I've been on this forum in months).

Ary

battery

sensors, complete wiring harness

id say pull EVERY wire attached to the motor, transplant, re-mount, and call it good?

Safari Ary said:
What does a 4.0 need to run?

Spark
Air
Fuel

:wave:

Oh man, I forgot to bring my love of sarcasm with me. I better go get it before this thread gets much longer :D

Ary, Just buy a Jeep and put your Toy axles under it. That way the 4.0L will run and the "frame" will be in better condition than the heep you have :D

AARON

Safari Ary said:
Let's say for arguments sake I wanted to put a 4.0/Aw4/D300 into a vehicle that was not originally designed for this motor. What, in terms of electronics/sensors/computers/etc, is needed to make the 4.0 run properly. I would be running Brett's shifter conversion to make the AW4 completely manual, thereby eliminating the TCM. Also what years would be best for making this swap the simplest?

This is just one of a few hypotheticals I'm working on now, but it's definately a possibility depending on how hard the swap would be electrically speaking.

Thanks guys, and it's good to return to my roots of sorts(first time I've been on this forum in months).

Ary
I don't think it would be a hard swap. you will obviosly need all the sensors and the ECM, but that is somthing you might be able to play with, the ecm controls the timing, fuel mixture... etc, some sensors you might be able to nix depending on the application, but for getting it setup i would take everything and get it running in what ever you are putting it in first, then mess with what you need, ( so don't forget the o2 sensors in the exhaust.) the rest should be fairly easy.

The best year XJ to steel it from? hmm most are so alike its hard to tell, personally, i would probebly either get one out of an 85 or a 99. the 85 is morelikely to run without the sensors and extra crap, and the 99 (98+ i think) has a better intake manifold with slightly more power potential.

good luck, and if you get done we want pictures.

Jeep didn't have the 4.0L in 85. Any of the Renix units will be easy to use. Just get the harness and shorten it up where needed. Plenty of wiring diagrams and it works well.

Another question. Does the ECM in an XJ equipped w/ an auto need input from the TCM to function properly?

Safari Ary said:
Oh man, I forgot to bring my love of sarcasm with me. I better go get it before this thread gets much longer :D
Careful, you're coming off as "cocky", or maybe just excited.

kid4lyf said:
Careful, you're coming off as "cocky", or maybe just excited.

ROFLMAO....and I was worried you guys might not remember me very well. :D

Wow, long lost Ary has returned.

The 97-99 wiring is miles ahead of anything previous.

The Renix rigs were wired by engineers who had a bunch of surplus wiring on their hands and needed something to do with it. There are about 15 wires that travel 12 feet in order to connect to a part that is 6 inches away.

Fawking AMC geniuses.

old_man said:
Jeep didn't have the 4.0L in 85. Any of the Renix units will be easy to use. Just get the harness and shorten it up where needed. Plenty of wiring diagrams and it works well.
OOPs i knew that. I meant 87. :wstupid: :anon:

Back