• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end squeak

Muddy_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ 159K

Just developed this squeak this morning. It sounds sort of like a old door opening, and only happens when I turn the wheel, stopped or while moving. While driving straight it makes no noise, but when I turn the wheel it will squeak at random points in the turn, but it's not constant lock to lock. I have narrowed it down to the driver’s side knuckle area. I hosed everything off to get the crud out after my last trip and greased everything I could, but the sound persists...

Does a TR end make that kind of noise when it’s going out? Balls joints? U-joint?

Just looking for a little direction before I start buying stuff (if I have to...)

Thanks

Muddy_XJ said:
91 XJ 159K I have narrowed it down to the driver’s side knuckle area. Thanks
Have you tried using some white lithium based grease on the streering knucle and adjustment bolt? Often gets overlooked when doing front end grease fittings.

I agree with above comments: likely u-joint, also grease all front fittings and try agasin. If that doesn't do it, look at ball joints- I just replaced both on the driver's side on my 1990. It was making screetchy sounds on going over bumps or turning. I couldn't believe how bad they were when I took the knuckle off! I could not find a lot of play by using the usual tests with the wheel on. I finally clued in by noticing that one of the grease seals (under the top ball joint) was wedge-shaped, and the other side was even or parallel-width.

Well I hosed it off and greased again and the sqeek is gone. I had turned the wheel, taken the tire off and spun my axle and the u joint didnt make a sound...

Back