• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing AW-4 Tranny ?? - kinda urgent

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
I'm 99% of the way there with reinstalling my AW-4 after replacing the bellhousing. The problem I'm having is that the torque converter appears not to want to seat in the flexplate as I've got about 1/2" to go before it all lines up. I've tried wiggling and shaking it every which way I can but it won't quite make it.

How the $^%$ do you get it to seat? Before going too much farther with that train of thought though, how can I be sure the TQ is actually seated all the way? When I went to reinstall that on the tranny it seems looser than I remember and had a wee bit of fore-and-aft play in it. Is this normal, or did I not get the TQ all the way on in the first place?

Edit: My inspection mirror appears to have gone on walkabout so I can't see behind the flexplate either..

Last edited:
Jim, whatever you do, don't try to bolt it up and force it. The TC isn't seated correctly. Try turning it and see if it will drop into place. There's a measurement you can take to confirm it's fully seated, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.....

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Jim, whatever you do, don't try to bolt it up and force it. The TC isn't seated correctly. Try turning it and see if it will drop into place. There's a measurement you can take to confirm it's fully seated, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.....
1/2" below the bellhousing.

Yeah; I realized it's not fully seated but it looks like I'm going to have to undo the wiring connections I already made and drop the tranny down to a more accessible level. With a straightedge across the bellhousing, any of the four mounting tabs for the flexplate are supposed to be 16.5mm or 0.650" - mine is currently about 1/8" if that.

Fortunately I've got a spare AW-4 and TQ that I was able to futz around with to get it seated, and it did the exact same thing; got stuck about 1/2" too far out. Without the bellhousing on that one I could see the wear marks on the back of the TQ where it's been rubbed down by the front seal so I know it was out. After fiddling and wiggling and swearing in a few languages I was able to get THAT one fully seated but if there's a shortcut to it I'd rather know that...

It's all in how you hold your tongue.
tongue.jpg

BrettM said:
the torque convertor goes on 4 steps, push it on (1), turn it around until it goes more (2), turn it around until it goes more (3), turn it around until it goes more (4), and you're done.
Holy freekin' dawg snot!! I missed a few days that I could have worked on it, and finally got the tranny pulled back far enough today that I could tackle the TQ again. Is it seriously four steps, or did it just work out that way? Because even when I clunked it in place and gave it a quick measurement it wasn't right. That's when I was tempted to throw what bolts I could in there and tighten it but like RoE said, I didn't.

After pulling the tranny back a second time I rotated, lifted, twisted, held my tongue, and finally convinced the TQ to sit down nicely. After that it was just a matter of making sure the bellhousing was going in at the same angle the engine was sitting, and we were done! Almost...it seems the replacements for those two E12 Torx bolts up top had disappeared. They're 3/8"-16 1.75" bolts for those of you who want to replace yours.

Last edited:
Yucca-Man said:
Almost...it seems the replacements for those two E12 Torx bolts up top had disappeared. They're 3/8"-16 1.75" bolts for those of you who want to replace yours.

Aw - now HOW that THAT happen? I seem to recall mine disappearing quite often as well. I still don't know how they rolled down that storm drain, at least a hundred feet from where I was working at the time...

5-90

The funny thing is that I still had one of the E12s...so I was able to go to the hardware store for the replacements. Looking through my pile o'junk it seems I may have picked up metric bolts the first time around anyway.

langer1 said:
1/2" below the bellhousing.
Bringing this one back up to the top from the dead (sorry), but I don't think I got my tc seated correctly and I don't get where I measure from to get this measurement, any help would be appreciated.

XJ99_AW4_1.jpg
davidt said:
Bringing this one back up to the top from the dead (sorry), but I don't think I got my tc seated correctly and I don't get where I measure from to get this measurement, any help would be appreciated.
Just keep turning and pushing, it will go back.

just for some clarification, here is some commentary from the brett and I earlier...

llewxamtterb: take a yardstick or something straight, put it up flat against the bellhousing.

find the flat surface on the torque convertor which has a threaded hole for the flexplate to bolt to.

measure
llewxamtterb: i don't know how else to put it
llewxamtterb: sounds like you've got it, it's like measureing backspacing, find the depth of the inner thing (whether it be the torque convertor or wheel mounting surface) relative to the outer surface (bellhousing or lip of wheel)

I have looked at the manuel and it did'nt say if you should put fluid in the TC first or fill via the dipstick hole , any body know?

Back