• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

because its a 99.....

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
whats different in lifting my 99 than in earlier years? More problems? will driveshaft and sye fix my problems? what driveshaft should i go with? anything appreciated

jeepinxj99 said:
whats different in lifting my 99 than in earlier years? More problems? will driveshaft and sye fix my problems? what driveshaft should i go with? anything appreciated

OMG, first time on here in forever and this is still being asked. I promise evry answer you need can be found buy using the "search" function.

screw it...

No difference on how you lift XJs, just expect to need an SYE above 2". I like AA HD SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft. 1997+ get vibes with alot less lift than older models thats really about it. Just make sure you have everything you need and if going bigger than 31s I say regear. Plan to spend $100-$300 more than you expect for stuff that "pops" up.

Last edited:
I've got a '99 too, and I'm almost done lifting it (I hope). I started with a 2" BB and just got a OME 2" lift. Together I've got more that 4".

Here's what I can tell you from my experience; I got drivetrain vibes with just the BB. I used a 1" t-case drop that helped untill I put the OME on and took it offroad, now it sounds and feels like a crotch rocket. I'm just getting a drive shaft built with a CV joint, no SYE, I hope it works alright, I'll have to get back to you on that one, it's still on the way. You are also going to need longer sway bar links up front along with a longer track bar and longer LCA's. I just took the swaybar off the rear.

I can't offer any help with the SYE/DS combo question.

ZachMan said:
No difference on how you lift XJs, just expect to need an SYE above 2". I like AA HD SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft. 1997+ get vibes with alot less lift than older models thats really about it.

SPOBI!!!! i have 6.5" of lift on my 97 with no SYE. stock rear drivehsaft. i have the AW4 and 8.25. NO vibes. no problems with the shaft falling out or any of that crap. ive had 4 lifted XJs 3", 4.5", 4.5" and now 6.5" and not one jeep has needed nor had a SYE. granted, my buddys xj we lifted 4.5" and the driveline was at such an angle the driveshaft wouldnt even turn because the yokes bound up. i would say 4.5" and higher you MIGHT need a SYE. anything higher than 6.5" is necessary. hasta

Keep in mind that all XJ's no matter what year are not created equal. As for your 99 it will matter the trans /tcase combo. I have a 2001 with a BDS 3" and 3/4" spacer in the front and 3/4" shackle on the rear, 1" tcase drop installed no vibes at all. Now before i get crucified tcase drop in my opion is fine for street use and minor wheeling if your going to wheel it hard do the SYE/ Driveshaft.By the way i have aw4 trans and a 231 tcase.

ZachMan said:
1997+ get vibes with alot less lift than older models thats really about it.

What?

97 with 5" of rear lift...no vibes

My friends 92 with 3.5"...bad vibes

olivedrabcj7 said:
SPOBI!!!! i have 6.5" of lift on my 97 with no SYE. stock rear drivehsaft. i have the AW4 and 8.25. NO vibes. no problems with the shaft falling out or any of that crap. ive had 4 lifted XJs 3", 4.5", 4.5" and now 6.5" and not one jeep has needed nor had a SYE. granted, my buddys xj we lifted 4.5" and the driveline was at such an angle the driveshaft wouldnt even turn because the yokes bound up. i would say 4.5" and higher you MIGHT need a SYE. anything higher than 6.5" is necessary. hasta

I got a 6 inch lift on my 95 and I couldnt even drive it around the parking lot with the slip yoke and stock driveshaft. The whole jeep felt like it was trying to pop off the groudn because of the driveshaft binding up. Anyways... if you have the 231 transfer case (part time) go with a HD SYE like an Advance Adapters (Thats what I got and I love it). This will upgrade your transfercase output shaft as well as the SYE. As for driveshaft I have a tom woods CV Driveshaft.

Back