• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350xj's Front Leaf Spring Build-up pics

350xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not going to chat much about it since I can't actually go through and explain every picture one at a time, but I'll give you guys the general idea. I'm puting 1/2-ton axels on my cherokee and I build a support for the front leaf springs so I could accomplish this with the long bastards that came off a chevy. I fabbed it all and am still a newbie (and there's still a lot to do) but you guys should get a pretty good Idea of what my ride looks like and what I'm doing with these pics. They're actually the first ones that I've put on the board :D

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/idahojeeper/album?.dir=/1b67

The pics will give you an idea of how I'm planning on doing the front. The shackles I have on there were from the original springs and I've fabbed up slightly longer ones I'm going to put on it after I drill the holes (tomorrow). On the rear, I'm cutting off the radius arm mounts and puting the leaf spring mounts just behind where those were. I'm temporarily sleeving the uni-frame on the same section I'm mounting the rear of the front leaf springs so I can have it rolling to get it over to the big shop. There I can sleeve the whole uni-frame and do the rest of the major fabbing. I think that's about it. Hope you all enjoy the pics :D

~Charlie

If I were you I would weld a cross brace in the middle of those shackles. They will fold the way they are. Must be nice doing that kind of work with the motor out of the way. :us:

88flexj said:
If I were you I would weld a cross brace in the middle of those shackles. They will fold the way they are. Must be nice doing that kind of work with the motor out of the way. :us:

Well, then you'll love my new pics. I already had the ones that you're talking about made I just wanted to get an idea with the old shackles. The new ones are killer, too! Strong as hell and look great!

Just so everyone gets an idea of what it will look like in the end I've got some more pics for ya. I finished getting completely rid of those lower radius arm mounts and making them flesh, and I welded the seam to strengthen it for the time being until I sleeve them. I also got the tires on the front axel (finally) and mounted the leafs to the good shackles.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/idahojeeper/album?.dir=1b67

Enjoy...I know I did :D

So, you're not worried about running into rocks with those shackles?

CRASH said:
So, you're not worried about running into rocks with those shackles?

Um...I'm puting a bumper on it soon that will guard them, if that's what you're getting at.

And I'm puting 35" tires at the biggest on the truck. Why the later 30 spline? Sorry I'm not as informed as I should be about this :D

350xj4x4 said:
Um...I'm puting a bumper on it soon that will guard them, if that's what you're getting at.

And I'm puting 35" tires at the biggest on the truck. Why the later 30 spline? Sorry I'm not as informed as I should be about this :D

Not really, I'm getting at the loss of 5 inches of approach angle due to shackles.

If it doesn't bother you, cool, but why not put them in the back so you can tuck the fixed eye of the spring up in the frame nice and tight?

CRASH said:
Not really, I'm getting at the loss of 5 inches of approach angle due to shackles.

If it doesn't bother you, cool, but why not put them in the back so you can tuck the fixed eye of the spring up in the frame nice and tight?
X2
Moving the fixed eye to the front and shackles to the rear its a common mod on front leaf sprung vehicles with the shackles up front. (Among other reasons, when the axles or tires come into contact with something up front, it transmits some of that force back into the frame via the stock solid rear pivot point, and the front shackle layout contributes to wandering). I too was wondering why you didn't plan it that way from the get go. I wondered if I was missing something, but now that Crash has said something, I'm finally brave enough to ask!
:D

Last edited:
CRASH said:

I first setup my leaf springs with the shackle at the back, it sucked. It had massive brake dive because of the angle of the springs, and to correct this would require a massive drop hangar on the front. The shackles were also total rock hangars; maybe with some sort of slider at the rear it wouldn't be as bad. You also usually need a long travel drive shaft with the shackles at the rear.

As far as approach angle goes, mine hasn't been an issue and I bet it's just as good as most XJs on 35s that have a winch. Also, with the military wrapped springs I don't worry about it the few times I have to give 'em a bump.

Last edited:
CRASH said:

I think I'm sticking with shackles in the front and a "lifted" static drop in the rear (both referring to the front springs) because it's so familiar. So many people have done it and I'm pretty comfident that I won't have too much of a problem with them. Especially because they're only about 3 1/2" long :p I didn't plan on getting most of my lift from the shackles, most of it is going to be from the tires and the static mounts. They're more just for flexibility. Thanks for the input, though.
If you were in my shoes what would you do (This is for everyone, not just CRASH)? If you don't mind I'd like a little more detail or a reference of someone that has done the same thing because I'm still kind of a newbie and I appreciate all the help I can get :D

Thanks a lot guys. I have the static rear mounts made for all who are interested. They look awesome for just being temporary until I sleeve the frame and make "bolt-on" mounts. I can't wait :D Also, I'm getting the whole steering taken care of just in case there's some kind of accident while towing the beast over to the shop. Man, I'm getting so giddy! hahaha

~Charlie

BrettM said:
As far as approach angle goes, mine hasn't been an issue and I bet it's just as good as most XJs on 35s that have a winch.

I'll buy everything except this. ;)

CRASH said:
I'll buy everything except this. ;)
measure yours, I'll measure mine

edit: I just checked, and my approach angle is between the tires and bumper; the shackles sit a good inch behind that "line". My bumper sticks out 3.25" from the grille at it's max. My front axle is also about 2 inches forward of stock. Your bumper appears to stick a good 4 inches in front of the grille and hang lower, as well as your front wheels look to be a good inch farther back than mine, so I feel rather certain my approach angle is actually better than yours.

(yes, there is still more to hit out front with leafs, but it does not affect the actual approach angle, and has rarely been an issue and never prevented me from completing an obstacle)

Last edited:
If you've changed your wheelbase, we're comparing apples an oranges......

CRASH said:
If you've changed your wheelbase, we're comparing apples an oranges......

But, which do you prefer? Apples or Oranges?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Great taste!

Ludakris said:
mmmm oranges...

My only question is why did you chose the 1/2 ton axles? and all the associated work.. is the whole drivetrain from a donor truck?

You know, the only thing that I really have a problem with here is that the only thing that I can respond to is this comment. Why is everyone talking about apples and oranges again?

Anyway, I have 1/2 tons on there because they were on the $300 suburban that I bought. I plan on going with 3/4's in the future but for now I'll just stick with the 1/2's at least for measurements sake. Yeah, the whole drivetrain is from a donor. BTW-the donor only came with the axels, driveshafts and engine so it's not the "whole" drivetrain. It's better that way, though. I want to be able to change things as I go.

Just a thought, there isn't a difference with the mountings between 1/2 and 3/4-ton is there?

Thanks,
~Charlie

Back